I'm new

ItsPirrip

I need help understanding the basics of each role.

I was only able to play 3 times because everyone who sees me, tend to just quit the queue because I'm low level and new :( I played as Woody 3x, so from my understanding as a chopper, all I do is chop woods and make manure bucket?

I have no idea how to make salt, one of the player in my 2nd match was typing in CAPS at me for not getting salt, being somewhat rude. I apologized when we lost the game, I couldn't ask in-game chat how to make salt because I didn't know how to chat in-game, someone told me I have to press Y. (I recently got DST for the PC so I'm fairly new to the game gorge mode.) I play DST on the console PS4 and Xbox1 sometimes, but fairly new to PC controls and I use a controller to play on PC.

I just want to know the basics of what Woody (chopping), Webber (farm) and Wes (cook) do and how to obtain certain items that needs to be crafted.... I only know how to make spice, I have no idea what how to make salt, and no idea what the sap does either. I asked in-game on my third match but nobody seems to talk.

-Salt is made by buying a salt rack for 8 coins from the little goat (Right of the starting spot). You set up the salt rack over one of the pools and check it periodically. You refine the salt crystals at the grinding station in the same location to make 3 salt at a time. These can be exchanged for a key to open safes from the elder big (lower far Right area), or to season food to improve their freshness

- sryup is made after you open the garden and tap 3 trees. Syrup produces periodically and you can harvest it. Trees eventually go bad and new ones have to be tapped

-The chopper is the general running aorund person in my experience. It' the role i do most, and what i do is chop wood until there are a couple stacks, exchange 10 wood for a poop bucket from the elder pig to help the farm, check on salt, fish, check on syrup, pick up dung for farmer, chase rabbits into traps when meat is needed. Basically the run around handy person

- the farmer is, as the name suggests, the farmer. They till, sow seeds, fertilize, harvest, grind flour, and i've seen them occasionaly do some of the chopper's job when they have spare time like check salt or syrup, or catch rabbits. Seeds are bought in the upper left area from the merm there, and more specialized seeds are from the merm in the garden. food goes in the safe, otherwise birds / rabbits will eat it. 

- the cook is usually completely tied up in cooking. They should have a decent grasp on the recipes and what is needed, and be able to instruct the farmer on what seeds they need to get and plant, on what meat they need, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Jynn said:

-Salt is made by buying a salt rack for 8 coins from the little goat (Right of the starting spot). You set up the salt rack over one of the pools and check it periodically. You refine the salt crystals at the grinding station in the same location to make 3 salt at a time. These can be exchanged for a key to open safes from the elder big (lower far Right area), or to season food to improve their freshness

- sryup is made after you open the garden and tap 3 trees. Syrup produces periodically and you can harvest it. Trees eventually go bad and new ones have to be tapped

-The chopper is the general running aorund person in my experience. It' the role i do most, and what i do is chop wood until there are a couple stacks, exchange 10 wood for a poop bucket from the elder pig to help the farm, check on salt, fish, check on syrup, pick up dung for farmer, chase rabbits into traps when meat is needed. Basically the run around handy person

- the farmer is, as the name suggests, the farmer. They till, sow seeds, fertilize, harvest, grind flour, and i've seen them occasionaly do some of the chopper's job when they have spare time like check salt or syrup, or catch rabbits. Seeds are bought in the upper left area from the merm there, and more specialized seeds are from the merm in the garden. food goes in the safe, otherwise birds / rabbits will eat it. 

- the cook is usually completely tied up in cooking. They should have a decent grasp on the recipes and what is needed, and be able to instruct the farmer on what seeds they need to get and plant, on what meat they need, etc. 

Thank you, I thought those pound are for fishes, so there's salt in there too. so Syrup is a ingredient for a food recipe or do you need to use it to make something else?

I've seen a lot of rocks lying around on the floor, what are those for? And sticks too... I've gathered sticks but have no idea what's the usage is.

Just now, Lium said:

Maybe try looking up a guide and joining games with new players to start, people will be less likely to yell at you.

I do quick matches, I tried making a room "i'm new" but been sitting in the room for more than 30mins.

8 minutes ago, ItsPirrip said:

Thank you, I thought those pound are for fishes, so there's salt in there too. so Syrup is a ingredient for a food recipe or do you need to use it to make something else?

I've seen a lot of rocks lying around on the floor, what are those for? And sticks too... I've gathered sticks but have no idea what's the usage is.

-there are 3 ponds in that area, and you use 1 for the salt rack, and fish out of the other two. You cannot fish out of a pond with a salt rack on it. I usually put the salt rack in the top one, and fish out of the bottom left one

-rocks are used to maek rock soup, which is a usual starting 'snack' recipe for the Gnaw

- sap is refined in a syrup pot, and used in higher tier recipes. Caramel cube, waffles, candy, etc. 

- sticks can be used in a recipe with 2 small meat to make kebob skewers, or used as a small fuel for the fire

1 minute ago, Jynn said:

-there are 3 ponds in that area, and you use 1 for the salt rack, and fish out of the other two. You cannot fish out of a pond with a salt rack on it. I usually put the salt rack in the top one, and fish out of the bottom left one

-rocks are used to maek rock soup, which is a usual starting 'snack' recipe for the Gnaw

- sap is refined in a syrup pot, and used in higher tier recipes. Caramel cube, waffles, candy, etc. 

- sticks can be used in a recipe with 2 small meat to make kebob skewers, or used as a small fuel for the fire

Okay, thank you.

my usual strategy as the chopper is:

- chop a stack of wood for cook

- chop 10 more wood, buy poop bucket for farmer. Get the 4 potatoes and 2 rot from the crop near the pig elder, put the potatoes in the safe and tell the cook they're in there (2nd dish is potentially veggie, and they can be used for that )

- pick up poop for farmer, chop another stack of wood for cook

- once salt rack is installed, i check it reguarly and make salt, exchange it for safe keys from pig elder and unlock safes. Bring the stuff to the cook. There are 3 safes in the pond area, you can keep exchanging 3 salt for keys to open them all

- once syrup is up (if you guys do that, you can win without syrup), i start checking the sap buckets too. Take them to the cook

- catch rabbits / fish if the cook needs them (they should hopefully ask for them so you know)

- keep stocked on wood and poop

and that's really all i do, and it seems to work fairly well aas long as the farmer and cook know what they're doing

40 minutes ago, Jynn said:

my usual strategy as the chopper is:

- chop a stack of wood for cook

- chop 10 more wood, buy poop bucket for farmer. Get the 4 potatoes and 2 rot from the crop near the pig elder, put the potatoes in the safe and tell the cook they're in there (2nd dish is potentially veggie, and they can be used for that )

- pick up poop for farmer, chop another stack of wood for cook

- once salt rack is installed, i check it reguarly and make salt, exchange it for safe keys from pig elder and unlock safes. Bring the stuff to the cook. There are 3 safes in the pond area, you can keep exchanging 3 salt for keys to open them all

- once syrup is up (if you guys do that, you can win without syrup), i start checking the sap buckets too. Take them to the cook

- catch rabbits / fish if the cook needs them (they should hopefully ask for them so you know)

- keep stocked on wood and poop

and that's really all i do, and it seems to work fairly well aas long as the farmer and cook know what they're doing

Thank you, what about a for a farmer? I think cook seems to be the hardest... no one wants to play as  cook, I just lost my 4th match because no one wanted to do cook, I tried but it didn't work.

1 hour ago, ItsPirrip said:

Thank you, what about a for a farmer? I think cook seems to be the hardest... no one wants to play as  cook, I just lost my 4th match because no one wanted to do cook, I tried but it didn't work.

farmer isn't too bad, some people have specific strategies but i usually get 2 wheat seeds, 1 potato and 1 carrot, and then from there grow what the cook needs.

I would agree cook is definitely the hardest. I've followed a guide that let me bbeat the Gorge all by myself, so i can at least carry a bad team to victory providing they don't take my resources or spend the money i need, but cook is definitely the hardest one to do

3 hours ago, Jynn said:

farmer isn't too bad, some people have specific strategies but i usually get 2 wheat seeds, 1 potato and 1 carrot, and then from there grow what the cook needs.

I would agree cook is definitely the hardest. I've followed a guide that let me bbeat the Gorge all by myself, so i can at least carry a bad team to victory providing they don't take my resources or spend the money i need, but cook is definitely the hardest one to do

Thank you, I'm slowly getting the handle of it as Woddy. I got all the main task as woody down, I want to try farmer but I dont know what seed to buy for anything yet xD

blue (wheat) is very very important. Always make sure you have some wheat growing and flour on hand, a lot of recipes require flour. 

carrot (oblong) and fluffy (potato) are also good ones to get. In the garden Spiky (Tomato) and pod (garlic ) are also useful in higher tier recipes

16 hours ago, Jynn said:

blue (wheat) is very very important. Always make sure you have some wheat growing and flour on hand, a lot of recipes require flour. 

carrot (oblong) and fluffy (potato) are also good ones to get. In the garden Spiky (Tomato) and pod (garlic ) are also useful in higher tier recipes

Thank you, this helps a lot. I've been wondering where to get garlic and tomato for a while,.. I bought seeds and it never gave me those. Someone told me that to get milk, you have to get it from crabs, it seems RNG if this is the case... I caught a few crabs but it only gave crab meat :/

1 hour ago, ItsPirrip said:

Thank you, this helps a lot. I've been wondering where to get garlic and tomato for a while,.. I bought seeds and it never gave me those. Someone told me that to get milk, you have to get it from crabs, it seems RNG if this is the case... I caught a few crabs but it only gave crab meat :/

You can buy milk only from Mumsy (the goat) for one red mark. So it's the cooks job to give gnaw a dish for getting a red mark. Usually the cook buys the milk when he needs it.

As a farmer you also can help the cook with cooking the syrup (when he don't want to cook something in a pot at this time).

2 hours ago, ItsPirrip said:

milk comes from Mumsy (1 red mark)

Crabs are caught from the trap (1 red mark), and only give crab meat

2 hours ago, Jynn said:

milk comes from Mumsy (1 red mark)

Crabs are caught from the trap (1 red mark), and only give crab meat

3 hours ago, Queron81 said:

You can buy milk only from Mumsy (the goat) for one red mark. So it's the cooks job to give gnaw a dish for getting a red mark. Usually the cook buys the milk when he needs it.

As a farmer you also can help the cook with cooking the syrup (when he don't want to cook something in a pot at this time).

Oh ok, thanks... I thought it was pretty odd that someone said milk can be obtained from crabs. It's no wonder I never got any and I was a farmer helping a cook with milk...

Archived