Hi developpers & everyone,

Just a little question about electrolysis :

The equation of the reaction is this :

2H2O -electrolysis-> 2H2 + O2

The pressure of a gas is the number of molecules per volume. At gaseous state, the number of molecules per litre of pure oxygen and pure hydrogen are quite similar. So an electrolyser should release twice the amount of hydrogen than the amount of oxygen in terms of molecules. The ratio in the game seems more like at least 5 oxygen per 1 hydrogen...

Knowing that with the correct ratios, an hydrogen generator (800W) could easily sustain 1 electrolyser, 1 gas pump, 1liquid pump and 1 gas filter (720W), so it could be a self sustaining system as long as water is provided. The abundance of hydrogen produced could also be used for farming/ranching or feed another generator and make this system power efficient for other contraptions.

Is the H/O ratio from electrolysis intentionnally wrong for gameplay purposes ?

5 hours ago, Mabnite said:

The pressure of a gas is the number of molecules per volume.

The game uses gaseous mass, not volume. If you look up the real life mass ratio of hydrogen to oxygen in water, you get the exact ratio used ingame, 888 grams oxygen to 112 grams hydrogen.

Yes of course, gaseous masses.. Since the atomic mass of a molecule has negligible influence on its volumetric molarity in its gaseous state, the volume of H2 emitted by the electrolyser should be double the volume of O2 (in terms of tiles).

In other words, if 888 grams of O2 take one tile, 66 grams of H2 should take one tile too. So the room should be filled by 2/3 H2 and 1/3 O2.

The mass isn't really the good unit to consider when talking about gases.... But I understand it's a game choice, that makes things simple and fun. But well... this gaseous mass thing It has its drawbacks for potential uses of H2, getting a simple self powered electrolysis contraption in particular. I don't know, at least compensate this little mass/atomic density inconsistency for gaseous H2 moved by pumps by an augmentation of its fueling effects in contraptions like the H generator ?

1 hour ago, Mabnite said:

In other words, if 888 grams of O2 take one tile, 66 grams of H2 should take one tile too. So the room should be filled by 2/3 H2 and 1/3 O2.

In real life, sure. Thanks to the way the game does gases and liquids by mass, that won't happen in the game.

On 22/05/2018 at 7:01 AM, Ambaire said:

In real life, sure. Thanks to the way the game does gases and liquids by mass, that won't happen in the game.

Yup... each tile has its own space-time of purity.

On 22/05/2018 at 8:03 AM, BlueLance said:

My Hydrolysis design is self powering with net gain, unfortunately it is down to how you deal with the 1kg/s the better your design the more you can get out of it.

Damn do you have a capture or something, a post where you put it? I'm really interested.

1 hour ago, Mabnite said:

Yup... each tile has its own space-time of purity.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see the game changed to use a pressure-based system and allow gases to mix. I'm just not sure if the devs would even think about making a change like that. It would probably be quite a bit more cpu intensive, too.

10 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I will post a screenshot once I am back at my actual PC and not using my works PC.

Nice, thanks !

9 hours ago, Ambaire said:

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see the game changed to use a pressure-based system and allow gases to mix. I'm just not sure if the devs would even think about making a change like that. It would probably be quite a bit more cpu intensive, too.

Okay. Yes, definitely, mixing is not a CPU friendly option at all, and 'tile purity' is really fun to play with as it is.

On the other hand, the volume of gases issue that is the real problem could be assessed by using moles instead of grams for tiles dynamics (1 mole = ~6.10²³ molecules). It  could be rather simple to implement in terms of programming :

- for the gas state tile dynamics, moles are used

- H=1 gram per mole, O=16 grams per mole, H2= 2 grams per mole, O2=32 grams per mole etc..

- calculate the number of tiles occupied with moles instead of grams with this simple conversion for gases only

- let the in game tooltip in grams to be player friendly

and it's done ! not a great programming neither cpu effort and everything should be coherent in-game for gases.

What do you think ?

Archived