so i have 2 natural gas generators 

1 has power upgrade so it gives 1.2kw and 1 is normal 0.8 kw  total = 2kw 

i have them wired together with 2kw cable 

the total output for the wire is 1560w  so even without the power upgrade it should be able to power the circuit 

but with power upgrade it sucks the life out of my smart battery and fails to power the circuit 

any ideas why    

the circuit was at just under 2kw but i took some things off it in hope that it would fix the problem but it dont 

i have attached a couple of screen shots 

and its not that its not getting enough gas because the pipe that feeds it is full 

Spoiler

20180429194633_1.thumb.jpg.0a3125f952c767db9c779d65fb547a20.jpg20180429194653_1.thumb.jpg.b87e41600e6cd63ae6a5e9638c8f5dcf.jpg20180429194609_1.thumb.jpg.bc8f30f7f1b60a3dfc1225e977928b15.jpg

I haven't wired things up that way for a very long time.  Since heavi-watt wire and transformers, I've always had my generators on the same circuit and used transformers to power my smaller circuits.  

Currently I have two coal and one hydrogen generator.  The hydrogen generator runs almost continually and the coal generators kick in when more power is needed.  All three are maintained by an engineer to increase their output.  I've never seen an issue where there was power loss while applying the buff (aside from the drop to 'normal' output levels).

I see that you have smart batteries hooked up.  Are they connected to the generator?  Is a setting on a battery failing to turn a generator on?

The game has a weird way of calculating how to charge and unload the batteries. When you put more batteries in series, the automation system must be done at the first and last battery before the AND gate, and then the signal sent to the generators, just so the system loads and works properly (or at least that's how I saw it working smoothly). And, of course, if you consume 1.6kw and you produce 2kw will slowly charge the battery system

.5ae62c7bd1c7c_Myautomation.thumb.png.14e40b2bc14127d40bce07caf24f0c3e.png

3 minutes ago, bystander88 said:

When you put more batteries in series, the automation system must be done at the first and last battery before the AND gate, and then the signal sent to the generators, just so the system loads and works properly (or at least that's how I saw it working smoothly).

I have never observed uneven charging of Batteries.  Are you sure that's what's happening?

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

I have never observed uneven charging of Batteries.  Are you sure that's what's happening?

Not long ago, I had batteries in different places, and did not load equally, I learned the lesson and now I fit them for the best working conditions.

i think ive worked it out   

about once or twice a second the generator says ... generator idle   and i think its because the way i have gas output done on it 

i notice as well one of my other sets of generators happens to have the exact same output 1560w and it is having the same problem but not to the point where there is no power left in the battery's it just does not quite reach the point where the automation terns it off 

so im gonna mess with the gas output im sure theres some trick i can do with gas bridges so they dont back up 

i made a video showing the automation and everything so i will upload and let you guys have a look 

2 hours ago, Kabrute said:

are you factoring battery drain loss?  Secondly power goes offline while gene is tuned up which could be the time gap for power loss you are experiencing, theoretically.

do you know how much battery drain is i did have a look on the wiki but no information about drain loss is on there and secondly its still happens when the gene has finnished being tuned so its not that 

2 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I haven't wired things up that way for a very long time.  Since heavi-watt wire and transformers, I've always had my generators on the same circuit and used transformers to power my smaller circuits.  

Currently I have two coal and one hydrogen generator.  The hydrogen generator runs almost continually and the coal generators kick in when more power is needed.  All three are maintained by an engineer to increase their output.  I've never seen an issue where there was power loss while applying the buff (aside from the drop to 'normal' output levels).

I see that you have smart batteries hooked up.  Are they connected to the generator?  Is a setting on a battery failing to turn a generator on?

i had issues with using transformers and smart battery's in the same circuits but that was before ranching update so maybe its changed the issue i was having was the smart battery's would turn off the generators then fail to send power to the transformers, hopefully this has changed now and if my messing with the gas output dont fix it then i will try mess with transformers again 

id rather have a smart battery then a transformer because the smart battery saves gas and stops the gene over heating 

the battery's are 100% wired up correctly 

and i have alot of things to power as you can see 16 natural gas generators 

1 hour ago, bystander88 said:

The game has a weird way of calculating how to charge and unload the batteries. When you put more batteries in series, the automation system must be done at the first and last battery before the AND gate, and then the signal sent to the generators, just so the system loads and works properly (or at least that's how I saw it working smoothly). And, of course, if you consume 1.6kw and you produce 2kw will slowly charge the battery system

AND gate on smart battery's?  not needed as they all charge at the same rate 

also i am consuming 1.6kw and producing 2kw and its not slowly charging the battery system   ..... this is the problem 

1 hour ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Why not just run an automation wire from each generator to its own battery?

if the above 2 solutions dont solve it i will try that 

From what I'm seeing at your gas output, it should be working fine, there's hardly any cause for the gas output to be obstructed. My guess would be the automation grid turning off the generators for some reason or something, but that's just me guessing.

PS: if you don't want your dupes to go disinfect walls like that, don't build them next to slime tiles, they spread slimelung into your walls.

in the video 03:30   generator idle keeps flashing in the box so something is causing it to go idle and when it does that the wire flashes from white to yellow ive also noticed that it only happens when the gene to the right of it is powered up 

and 12.45 when i look at the gas overlay notice the output slow down on the problem gene's when it has to insert into the same pipe 

im sure ill be able to fix it with a few gas bridges i guess ill find out when i play tomorrow 

also digging out the slime on the other side of them wall is one of the 1st things im gonna do 

You know, I didn't even look at the gas piping.  Because of how pipe sections interact at junctions (T's or +'s), I always use a bridge to make the connection.  That way if there's room, the packet moves -- instead of alternating.  I know that there's no gas from my generator -- the batteries are full when I made the SS, but, hopefully this shows what I mean:

Spoiler

5ae6706a2b45a_Screenshotat2018-04-2919-23-24.png.36073251ac9bae8acfd3fc2add27d948.png

On 4/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, suicide commando said:

From what I'm seeing at your gas output, it should be working fine, there's hardly any cause for the gas output to be obstructed. My guess would be the automation grid turning off the generators for some reason or something, but that's just me guessing.

PS: if you don't want your dupes to go disinfect walls like that, don't build them next to slime tiles, they spread slimelung into your walls.

Agreed it's annoying, though you can always click the offending tile/s and disable disinfect if you really need to build that way.

Archived