Itermittant power death spiral -- fix may be priority-change ease-in

I ran into a situation today that is nearly identical to a death spiral I've encountered in other games.

I'm new to the game, so I haven't mastered all the basics yet, so my base was kind of out-of-control already.

What was happening was that my coal generators were out of coal, but I still had the manual generator. Unfortunately, the manual generator didn't provide enough power for the network. What was happening is that my Dupes were running to get coal that I had marked for 9-priority sweep, but when the power would come on, the stressed out dupes would run to the massage tables, hop on, and then cause a blackout. So then they'd leave the massage table and head back up the ladder to get the coal, but before they'd get to the coal, the power would come back on, and they'd immediately head back to the massage tables.

A fix for this may be to ease-in to task changes based on priority-- that is, rather than treating it as a binary when conditions for a higher priority task are satisfied, perhaps either weigh out the value of the current task (how close is it, how far away am I?), or wait a certain amount of time while conditions are correct before switching to the other task.

In writing this, I realize it might have been solved by going red alert, but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

You can manually break out of this death spiral by temporarily disabling the massage tables until power is restored, or limiting access to them so only one can be used.

It's been a long time since I've seen a new players base, would you mind uploading your save file? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

23 hours ago, Kauffy said:

I ran into a situation today that is nearly identical to a death spiral I've encountered in other games.

I'm new to the game, so I haven't mastered all the basics yet, so my base was kind of out-of-control already.

What was happening was that my coal generators were out of coal, but I still had the manual generator. Unfortunately, the manual generator didn't provide enough power for the network. What was happening is that my Dupes were running to get coal that I had marked for 9-priority sweep, but when the power would come on, the stressed out dupes would run to the massage tables, hop on, and then cause a blackout. So then they'd leave the massage table and head back up the ladder to get the coal, but before they'd get to the coal, the power would come back on, and they'd immediately head back to the massage tables.

A fix for this may be to ease-in to task changes based on priority-- that is, rather than treating it as a binary when conditions for a higher priority task are satisfied, perhaps either weigh out the value of the current task (how close is it, how far away am I?), or wait a certain amount of time while conditions are correct before switching to the other task.

In writing this, I realize it might have been solved by going red alert, but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

you could use a smart battery with some automation and power shut off to desactivate massage table when power go under a certain point and made it back when battery become fully charge

Archived