Structure Upgrades

This was mentioned before but I would like to upgrades for the structures. I think this would be a good way to rework the powerplant room and station to use microchips as a permanent buff on more than just generators. Decrease their cost and output for generators and use microchips to upgrade other structures.

Example: Upgraded storage: increased storage capacity
Upgraded Mess table: faster consumption and increased decor
Upgraded filters: 40w additional power req and an extra filter
Upgraded transit tube: increased transport speed
Upgraded electrolyzer: increased efficiency and output
Upgraded hydroponic: decreased water consumption and increased growth rate (must be inside greenhouse to be upgraded)
Upgraded fridge: increased storage
Upgraded critter food: increased storage
Upgraded incubator: increased incubation speed
Upgraded water sieve: decreased temp output and reduced filtration req
Upgraded refinery: increased output and decreased temp (only by small amounts, require multiple upgrades)
Upgraded polymer press: increased output and decreased temp (same ^)
Upgraded fert syn: increased output and decreased input
Upgraded pharma chamber: self-healing
Upgraded light/lamp: decreased heat
Upgraded aquatuner/regulator: decreased heat

These are just some things that could have an upgrade feature. Allowing further efficiency and late game modification.
The upgrades wouldn't be easy by any means but would give more purpose to the power plant. I personally do not see it being worth the use as it is now with it only lasting 3 cycles and taking a cycle to put it in. I think making microchips used for upgrades would be a cool additions.

To balance a lot of these, they'd have to have some sort of endgame or goal material besides plastic and refined metal, because neither are that difficult to obtain in mass quantity once set up. This would force the player to think a bit before simply applying "Upgrade all the things!" to the entire base.

One way is to have a limited resource, such as an extremely rare material only found in ruins or special pockets, that requires refining and research to use. Another way is to have a highest tier job, combined of architect and scientist cross training, that allows the use of refined metal and plastic to upgrade buildings.

As for your list of upgrades, I would REALLY like to see high temperature upgrades for all pump types, and possibly high capacity (20kg/s liquid pumps, and 5kg/s gas pumps) variants. Maybe make upgrades for everything a choice between high throughput VS high temperature VS reduced power consumption.

Just now, crypticorb said:

To balance a lot of these, they'd have to have some sort of endgame or goal material besides plastic and refined metal, because neither are that difficult to obtain in mass quantity once set up. This would force the player to think a bit before simply applying "Upgrade all the things!" to the entire base.

One way is to have a limited resource, such as an extremely rare material only found in ruins or special pockets, that requires refining and research to use. Another way is to have a highest tier job, combined of architect and scientist cross training, that allows the use of refined metal and plastic to upgrade buildings.

As for your list of upgrades, I would REALLY like to see high temperature upgrades for all pump types, and possibly high capacity (20kg/s liquid pumps, and 5kg/s gas pumps) variants. Maybe make upgrades for everything a choice between high throughput VS high temperature VS reduced power consumption.

Yeah, I agree on the rare resource. Make only found in small pockets 1-4 nodes around the map. Requires the training you specified for it to be refined and used.

2 minutes ago, vovik said:

I would tie upgrading ability to research station, requiring arithmetically/exponentially more research for upgrading stuff + some material that thing is made of.

So add more research to upgrade them?

On 4/11/2018 at 3:46 PM, TheExceed said:

Upgraded Mess table: faster consumption and increased decor

I have a suggestion for a design here: The "eating machine" from Chaplins "Modern Times" would be perfect ;)

For recycling water, the filter could eventually do without sand completely. That would be a nice end-game machine.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

I have a suggestion for a design here: The "eating machine" from Chaplins "Modern Times" would be perfect ;)

For recycling water, the filter could eventually do without sand completely. That would be a nice end-game machine.

I doubt theyll let it cost no sand. But a consider amount less would be good. As long as they make a way to get nonrefined metal, you can get sand from the first refinery

Archived