Aquatic animals

I agree seeing some water life would be awesome and to cook with them would amazing! and they could add water ranching for ranching water creatures, and then they could add scuba suits so they can stay in the water to maintain the farms.

Anybody remember this little guy?

asdfqwer.png.945eaad24e43f686cda4b69cb6628da3.png

We've had teasers of aquatic animals for a while now. With ranching and wrangling, I'd expect aquatic animals to be imminent with Ranching Mk2, because we weren't able to relocate animals before. I love the idea of aquatic animals, partly because there currently is no reason to have a pool of clean water in your base after a water geyser is secured, and partly because it sounds like a new challenge.

A few ideas for fish and what they could do:

Catfish: Bottom feeder. Could sit in a pool of polluted water and slowly filter it to clean water. (Alternative idea: cleans polluted water of germs)

Piranha: Predatory fish. Lives in clean water, but attacks any dupe or other fishes in the pool. Provides decent amounts of meat when killed, reproduces quickly, but cannot be "groomed", or provide eggs. Consumes meal lice or mushrooms.

Cold Fish: Lives in any liquid, but survives in a -20oC to +20oC temperature range. Can maintain temperature of the liquid at its preferred temperature of 0oC. VERY slow reproduction rate, to keep from being unbalanced. (Need a new name for this guy)

Hot Fish: Lives in any liquid, but heats up any liquid it's in up to the boiling point of water, 100oC.

Let's hear any other fish ideas, these are just a few that seemed useful and logical.

Octopus: produces an ink that can be used as an alternative for petroleum for plastic. Among other uses
SpiderFish: produces a liquid silk refined into nets and clothing.

For your cold fish: Ricefish: produces rice by converting heat in the water.

With ranching, having hatches so often in buried objects isn't necessary. But could as a scale drop that can be used in a new station as a research to creating fish cells. Can be useful for training dupes in research after the research is done.

I like the idea of fish being able to adjust water temperature and also refine liquids. And fish which pollute water or introduce new diseases so in the mid/late game you may have to decontaminate water pools in the wild before you can harness them. 

A filter fish I definently agree with, possibly as a side effect it adds a new type or germ to it? I really do think they will add an aquatic animal, and an Ice animal, as we have neither but we have an animal for every other biome.

The other thing is we could have something less like a fish and more like a mudskipper? That way instead of you finding it in water its in slime or something, Possibly it excretes a lubricant or something and eats another resource? But it cannot survive on land forever or in water forever, so the player has to accomodate

Archived