Additional options - min weight and min collection radius.

Setting global priorities is a very neat addition, it would be nice if there was 2 more options added to it, min weight that dupes carry and minimal collection distance for resource collection.

Im sorry for my language, but im ***** sick and tired of those imbeciles grabbing a bottle of polluted water, that has like 500 mg in it and then carry it across the base to Bottle Emptier. Especially if there is a dozen other polluted water bottles in 5 tile radius.

It is rather infuriating watching 10+ dupes carry like 1 liter of water(total, across them all) from one spot to another. Or same problem with ice. Or fertilizer(why do i need 10 dupes, each to carry 10 kilos of slime, to fertilize 10 tiles of shrooms).

There seem to be already scripts that do exactly that, be they seem to have extremely low priority. Im far more likely to see bunch of dupes carrying low amounts of stuff, rather than one collecting it all. Occasionally i see one dupe collecting 800 kg of water and carry it to 4 Bottle Empties, but far more often i see 4 separate dupes doing it.

This would also be very helpful with slime collection. I typically have a high priority collection point in a submerged tank for slime, to keep it from sublimating after digging it up. However, when pufts do their thing in the wild, they make little balls of 50-100g of slime that waste massive amounts of dupe time to collect, while also risking slimelung.

I agree that having a minimum carry weight of 1Kg, or 10Kg would be very beneficial for dupe efficiency across the board. I can see a few small problems of lots of >1kg bottles of fluid or balls of slime getting ignored for extended periods though, so that is one problem to consider.

Edit: Another awesome point this would be incredibly useful for is auto-sweepers, which currently have a bug where they will move 1g of slime at a time from a puft farm into storage, constantly topping off a storage container as quickly as it sublimates. Adding in a minimum auto-sweep weight would prevent the sweeper from wasting loads of power/efficiency.

More often then not ive seen dupes picking up mg of crap, with tons of the same laying about all over the place. But there are more things that could improve efficiency. Since cross training dupes is a thing, a dupe that can supply and build should always do it. Food storage is a job that should not be interrupted while underway. When i see cooked food drowning in the oil pools there is only one thing that comes to mind, the good old WTF???? I see abandoned eggs all over the place, and i spend more time babysitting sweep orders then actually do productive stuff. Id be ok if they remembered the last task, and went back to complete it. If they dont mind eating food drowned in crude oil, i dont mind either. I mean, the fridges are right by the cook, what the heck are they doing?

Common woes in these kind of games, i guess. The lag in mid/late game, even with under 20 dupes, becomes quite noticeable with all the stuff going on. Adding more routines and checks would only make it worse.  

Failure to pick up an obvious optimal load is an AI issue, not simply solved by forcing them to pick up X amount of stuff, AI should seek optimal TIME to get objects stored.  This is a legit issue but is a lot more complex to solve then your imagining.

Another factor is that dupes only carry 1 type of materials, but I think though that gofers should earn a trait to be able to carry 2 types of material, and couriers three types.  This take a LOT more AI work to support though.

They could add a bit of code, that once dupe picks up something and 2 requirements are met, he is not at his max capacity and end-point requires more materials that he currently holds, then instead of just heading to his final destination, another check is run to see if there is more of the same material in certain vicinity.

And yes, dupes simply dropping stuff they do when they want something, like toilet or food, is a problem. At some point it was suggested to have certain buffer for work, eg from 90% to 110% of "need" dupe continues to do what he does and then heads of to fulfill his "need". So if dupe "need" for something is above 90% and he has no tasks, then he heads of fulfill it(instead of waiting till its 100% and then just dropping what he is doing); if his "need" is above 90%, but he is in the middle of something, then he finishes this job and then goes to fulfill that need.

15 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

They could add a bit of code, that once dupe picks up something and 2 requirements are met, he is not at his max capacity and end-point requires more materials that he currently holds, then instead of just heading to his final destination, another check is run to see if there is more of the same material in certain vicinity.

And yes, dupes simply dropping stuff they do when they want something, like toilet or food, is a problem. At some point it was suggested to have certain buffer for work, eg from 90% to 110% of "need" dupe continues to do what he does and then heads of to fulfill his "need". So if dupe "need" for something is above 90% and he has no tasks, then he heads of fulfill it(instead of waiting till its 100% and then just dropping what he is doing); if his "need" is above 90%, but he is in the middle of something, then he finishes this job and then goes to fulfill that need.

Yep, this will be golden. I forced myself to restrict shower times, and im just about to restrict toilet times and food times in all future runs. Dont care if theyre drooling green stuff, or of they eat some mushroom off a pile of slime. Next time i see a dupe dropping a barbecue in the middle of nowhere because he needs to take a leak, hell have a nice, quick alt+q trip to the nearest magma pocket.

Actually, i wonder if this is all calculated, and we're not just the guys who tell them to do something somewhere. Makes me think of rimworld, where cannibalism is a thing.

Archived