Hatches won't eat bottled water any more?

For a few updates now, my starting tactic was to trap a hatch or two in my initial outhouse setup to deal with the waste. They would eat the polluted dirt from the outhouses and the bottled polluted water from the washbasins alike. And, even when the germs did transfer from the polluted dirt/water to the coal, they would die off so much faster on the solid coal (I think the coal was excreted germy in some updates, and not in some other ones...). I figured, I don't really mind the loss of some of the (p-)water in the beginning, as it is little quantities, so I wouldn't usually care about storing and purifying the p-water until much later when I installed lavatories and the like.

It seems, however, that the hatch won't eat the p-water any more. It eats the p-dirt happily enough. It does make logical sense that it wouldn't eat liquids since it produces coal, but I did want to confirm if this change was really implemented? Do I have to switch to a different early game bathroom management system, as I currently have a couple of bottles of p-water sitting there cycle 30 just making more of that sweet sweet food poisoning.

Interestingly, I just went through all the patch notes one more time and can't find a word about it. I was assuming it was changed with the update, just can't (still) find anything about it in the patch notes.

Archived