where is the power???

it is now extremely difficult to keep my base powered. severely limiting natural gas and poor oil refineries make it nearly impossible to keep my base powered. I'm constantly running out of power. Please increase outputs for natural gas and petroleum refinery.

with the variable dormancy rates in geysers now, I basically have 70 or so cycles with no natural gas, even though I'm taking it from two of them. 200 cycles it's harder to find coal, so all that is left is petrol. i'm not quite to the point where I have steam power yet. I can't power the plastic refineries.

1 hour ago, captainharlow said:

I can't power the plastic refineries.

Reduce other powerusage. You need only food and O² to run the base. Place electrolyzers everywhere,  suck and store O², overproduce hydrogen. Use Hydrogen generator. One example..
storage_liquid.jpg.187de9d86cc659b9c9e633813b9c8b60.jpg
Build a basic dome to collect precious hydro..
dome.thumb.jpg.e04d54aa03dfb8f5bef04af22e06a996.jpg
This i use as O² buffer. Storage on the left, feeds exosuits.

storage.thumb.jpg.033c31e01b802d40582cddddb30958f0.jpg

17 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Place electrolyzers everywhere,  suck and store O², overproduce hydrogen.

That won't work when you don't have enough water. A common problem since the hard geysir nerf (at least for me). And how do you store oxygen, just in pipes with atmo sensors? or do you build extra rooms?

On this topic my current base is from the OP update, and now has gone into the ranching update. My Nat gas geyser went dormant so like you say I was hoping to go hydrogen instead.

However I cant find any rich hydrogen caves like those pictured above. It's in a lot of caves but at very low densities. Is this an unlucky world gen, or has more hydrogen been added in the Ranching patch?

22 hours ago, DerLoBo said:

That won't work when you don't have enough water. A common problem since the hard geysir nerf (at least for me). And how do you store oxygen, just in pipes with atmo sensors? or do you build extra rooms?

storage_liquid.jpg.187de9d86cc659b9c9e633813b9c8b60.jpg
There are some polluted water pockets - water sieve, to get clean water.
Based on your map, solutions are different.

On 25/03/2018 at 12:26 AM, captainharlow said:

it is now extremely difficult to keep my base powered. severely limiting natural gas and poor oil refineries make it nearly impossible to keep my base powered. I'm constantly running out of power. Please increase outputs for natural gas and petroleum refinery.

Switch to hydrogen power? My entire base currently runs off of only hydrogen. At cycle 200 or so I start to build some power hungry systems which do pull a lot of the energy but if I limit those time wise or if I built a charge up system using an external strip of batteries I reckon I could feed even my higher power systems

Are you using Smart batteries? They save so much energy

21 hours ago, Cypher-7 said:

@ImpalerWrG The OP’s suggestion was to increase geyser output, people are disagreeing with him and giving him solutions because they don’t like his suggestion.

The point is that this is not really about the relative balance of power source, it's just a request for the game to be easier because he's having trouble adapting to the new feature of geyser dormancy.  Features are good and should be challenging, Klei's 'brand' is survival games not sandbox games.

Archived