Bird of death

I have an idea for a boss a huge hawk like creature that appears after 12 days or so and it appears at random after that after 8 days for sure. post-9288-13764590988122_thumb.jpg It's a meat eater and would eat ANYTHING it could get its claws on (including YOU). You would hear a screech before it appears and all animals would go into hiding. If you are being attacked by hounds when this bird appears the hounds will run off most times if they don't get away in enough time the bird takes one of them and the rest flee in terror. It would have up to 850 health but you could hide in heavily wooded area or even among large herds of beefalo to avoid it. You could use a boomerang or throwing spear to kill it and collect meat, large feathers and maybe a black gem for use in later in game. The bird in the picture is called Argentavis a prehistoric predatory bird

The only problem would be that it would have to land, as the camera doesn't really zoom out enough to fight a flying animal. Other than that I like it, it's kinda similar to the Vultures that other people have mentioned, maybe if you kill a load of them this fellow could appear.

The thought of that makes me shudder in fear.

It is quite creepy glad they are all long gone.

The only problem would be that it would have to land, as the camera doesn't really zoom out enough to fight a flying animal. Other than that I like it, it's kinda similar to the Vultures that other people have mentioned, maybe if you kill a load of them this fellow could appear.

I was thinking maybe only a shadow would appear then the legs with claws would come down to grab you that way it makes the bird feel huge and they wouldn't have to draw it. Edited by Avarwen

the legs with claws would come down to grab you that way it makes the bird feel huge and they wouldn't have to draw it.

It looks about fifteen feet in wing span, since the characters are about five feet tall (yes people were usually five feet tall in the early 1900s), so that would be too big of an estimation. Edited by mr.serious

The picture is just there to give you an idea of what the bird might look like. I was thinking along the lines of a massive monster bird you can't really see other than a shadow and legs to give you more of a creepy scary feeling.

The main problem I have with adding flying creatures to Don't Starve is that the logistics become muddled. I wouldn't want any type of flying creature (short of an insect, like the bee) to be able to flying "hovering" before me during combat.

In the case of a gigantic bird you could either have it swoop by and attack by grabbing something in its claws, then fly off. But in this case it wouldn't need Health because it would be there and then gone. If it stuck around fighting something that flies across the screen would be hard to pull off.

Or it could swoop by (shadow overhead) and then have it land... at which point it would be pecking us. Then it would be a stationary target, to the most degree, and we could target it with attacks, but I think that idea sounds a bit silly. I would be left to think "Boss Bird" and then expect "Boss Rabbit" to come along next.

Maybe instead of a giant bird it could be something else...? Like a Byakhee? That would be in tune with the influences from H.P. Lovecraft found in the game already. Not to mention seeing one would lead to insanity...

It would be slow enough for you to hit it with a boomerang and won't land since that might be hard implement in game.

I don't know... I sort of liked the idea of something flying down suddenly and attacking you, but I couldn't see that working for a bird of any size. The other option, that it flies by is still there, but this is your suggestion so I'll leave it at that.

The Byakhee is indeed very creepy and would be a good idea to add.

Yup, and straight from the Cthulhu Mythos. Not exactly all that original, but I don't see the works of H.P. Lovecraft used all that much in video games, so I think it would work.

I don't know... I sort of liked the idea of something flying down suddenly and attacking you, but I couldn't see that working for a bird of any size. The other option, that it flies by is still there, but this is your suggestion so I'll leave it at that.Yup, and straight from the Cthulhu Mythos. Not exactly all that original, but I don't see the works of H.P. Lovecraft used all that much in video games, so I think it would work.

Yeah it's just an idea I don't expect to see it in game due to the way the map is made but if I can inspire something similar or better it's all good.