Sweeper Arm as a wall

I keep seeing a lot of upset people about the recent changes affecting sweeper arms not going htrough walls anymore, and the smart compactors not working in various rooms because of it counting as machinery. Beyond the idea of simply not counting that as machinery anymore, an alternative would be to alter the sweeper arm itself and make the top row of it act as a wall itself with the arm pivoting around that wall. if then allows the arm to touch two rooms (top/bottom, side/side) and it would then act like a floor for duplicants, or a solid side wall. With that it can then be part of a room seperator since it acts like a wall peice with a swingable arm in a 360 degree angle around it. Seems like it would be an easy and effective way to integrate them into the game, and allow multi room setups still without the idea of them simply ignoring walls like they don't exist. 

That's an interesting idea. Making the sweeper totally impassable would be a pretty big change though and could make it really hard to use in some situations (e.g. where you want dupes to be able to get past it). Might be best as a second type of sweeper.

It also leaves the question of how you deal with delivering into/sweeping out of high temperature environments. If the wall-mounted sweeper has to be exposed to the hot area to work that limits options a lot more than a regular sweeper that can just reach through a wall.

Frankly I just wish we could build machines that operate at higher than 125C. It's a weirdly low temperature for things to overheat at. I mean, what are the dupes building steam turbines out of? Can they just use the same process to build my gas pumps?

Archived