Suggestion Better Food Transition

Currently it's too difficult to switch to Berry Blossoms early in the game. With the new penalties for jobs board I would have though décor and food expectation would have become worse exponentially the longer the dupes weren't satisfied but this isn't the case. You still apparently need to run just meal lice only until later in the game (>~50 cycles) and even with this dupes can be pushed into high tier jobs. My feeling is too much water is used for Blossoms and early cooking keeping gameplay for farming very limited early.

While I agree with you that in terms of the game it uses a lot of water; compared to real life liters per kilo calorie produced it is extremely efficient. One of the main issues I have with the plants in this game is that any water that is feed into them is essentially destroyed(you do get a meager amount back for lavatory usage) while this is very untrue in real life. One of the main reasons the devs can't fix this easily is that each tile can only hold one type of gas. This means that the devs cannot account for plants' transpiration. If they were to implement humidity in a similar fashion to how germs work, then it might be possible to recover that water with a dehumidifier. 

I don't find the transition to Berry Blosoms too hard, they grow under the same conditions as Meal lice just slower.  The problem is that Lice+Blossoms can then last too long without requiring a transition to higher foods through the mid game.

@DragonicSiege I don't understand why the 1 gas type per tile is a limiting factor, If a Dupe can generate CO2 gas tiles into the game then why can't a plant transpire water vapor?  Or for that matter the Dupes should sweat and exhale water too, just alternate each breath being one of the other.  Water vapor should float upwards over oxygen and could even condense on the ceiling of it's own accord

41 minutes ago, ImpalerWrG said:

@DragonicSiege I don't understand why the 1 gas type per tile is a limiting factor, If a Dupe can generate CO2 gas tiles into the game then why can't a plant transpire water vapor?  Or for that matter the Dupes should sweat and exhale water too, just alternate each breath being one of the other.  Water vapor should float upwards over oxygen and could even condense on the ceiling of it's own accord

The issue is that humidity isn't a thing in this game.  Humidity only exists in the real world because gases mix.  If water vapor exists, what is it?  Steam?  What temperature does it condense at?

9 hours ago, Zarquan said:

The issue is that humidity isn't a thing in this game.  Humidity only exists in the real world because gases mix.  If water vapor exists, what is it?  Steam?  What temperature does it condense at?

That is what I meant. If it was produced as steam then it would probably instantly condensate as water that would build up on the floor. This would be an added thing to deal with while making a farm and would be rather unrealistic.

Archived