Wes sad story

Unlocking Wes can take far too much time. I usually don't post just to gripe, but I simply find this absurd... This is copy and pasted from the Don't Starve wiki: "In the third chapter of Adventure Mode, a set piece may appear (if the map is not Two Worlds)...". Why wouldn't they program Two Worlds to also spawn the Wes set piece? I picture the developers sitting around the conference table reviewing Adventure Mode and Programmer A asks "Should we make one more adjustment and make sure Wes always spawns in the third chapter?" and Programmer B says "No, but we should behead this goat I brought. It should help boost sales if we sacrifice it to Krampus."

They purposely made him hard to get, like everything else in the DS world, they wanted him to be a challenge. Way back in the very early days of development, he used to be unlocked with XP... imagine my disappointment in missing that boat!

Anyway, after I beat Adventure Mode, my next mission was, of course, to find Wes. What I did was use WX-78 (because gears are abundant, and easy food/sanity/health) and speed-ran through each world. If I got Two Worlds on the third, I killed myself and started over. It was a long time ago that I did this, but IIRC, I got him in less than 10 restarts. I just sat down for a (real life) day and kept restarting.

I can't speak to how well it works, but you could also try this mod. It will only work with a vanilla game, not RoG.

Please explain " Two Worlds"

12 hours ago, imsomony said:

Anyway, after I beat Adventure Mode, my next mission was, of course, to find Wes. What I did was use WX-78 (because gears are abundant, and easy food/sanity/health) and speed-ran through each world. If I got Two Worlds on the third, I killed myself and started over.

@truepurple There are 5 levels in Adventure Mode, and 6 possible worlds/maps that can appear mixed in:

A Cold Reception (levels 1-3)

King of Winter (levels 1-4)

The Game is Afoot (levels 1-4)

Archipelago (levels 1-4)

Two Worlds (level 3-4 only)

Darkness (level 5 only)

In order to obtain the set piece that will unlock Wes, you must start level 3 on any map EXCEPT Two Worlds. Since Two Worlds only has 2 possible levels it can appear on, it's very very common for it to get mixed into the #3 slot.

Or did you mean explain what the Two Worlds level is all about, like how the map differs from the others?

2 hours ago, truepurple said:

That. You mean some kind of set area instead of random?

Correct. "Two Worlds" is a set map of Adventure Mode. The layout is constant and unchanging.

It is two islands. One is long Summer (Autumn in RoG), and the other island has normal seasons. The long Summer/Autumn island is smaller, but has a lot of resources you can use to live forever... Maxwell is trying to tempt you to stay there forever, and never move on. Once you move along  to the other island, you will have regular seasons, so you should use both islands to continue preparing for the next 1-2 worlds.

You can travel between the regular island and the long-Summer/Autumn island via a wormhole.This level is basically meant to be a savory  deterrent, as well as a world that can allow you to fully prepare for the hardships ahead. You can spend YEARS here if you need to. 

What is this adventure mode and survival mode business? When I play, I have play now, it allows me to pick the parameters of the world and my character, and whether to use RoG or SW, the words adventure and survival appear NOWHERE that I can find. (I only know the term survival is suppose to be there because I searched wiki for some of these terms)

I also see the word " Sandbox Mode" in wiki too, is that survival or yet another mode I don't see any signs of?

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Teleportato

@truepurple

Sandbox mode and Survival Mode are the same.

Adventure Mode is an additional way to play within a vanilla or RoG world. When you find Maxwell's Door, you're given the option to enter it and play-through the side-quest(s). There's info about Adventure Mode in this thread if you want to get an overview, or you can read full details on the wiki here. If you die in Adventure Mode, you'll be brought back to your regular survival/sandbox game without losing anything - so you can play Adventure Mode as often as you'd like, and die, without consequence to your main save file.

If you die in adventure mode and go back, can you keep going in dying and going back, is what you are saying?

SW has no adventure mode? Is there a difference between RoG adventure node and plain aside from the new stuff?

Can one link to a RoG or plain world from an SW world?

6 hours ago, truepurple said:

If you die in adventure mode and go back, can you keep going in dying and going back, is what you are saying?

Correct. When you die in Adventure Mode, all it does is restart Adventure Mode. It has no effect on your regular game, and you can start/restart Adventure Mode as often as you want.

SW has no adventure mode?

Correct.

Is there a difference between RoG adventure node and plain aside from the new stuff?

I haven't played Adventure Mode in RoG, only plain/vanilla. So what I know is based on the Wiki, and other people commenting over the years. But plain/vanilla is definitely what I would recommend if you're new to Adventure Mode - it's hard enough already, without adding in RoG content. 

RoG has additional seasons, so that will impact how Adventure Mode seasons play out. For example, one Adventure Mode world is "The Game Is Afoot". In plain/vanilla, the world is Winter/Summer. In RoG, the world is Winter/Spring. The additional seasons in RoG bring new bosses (MooseGoose, DragonFly, Bearger), and I believe they can show up in Adventure Mode as well. There are a couple worlds that have all the regular seasons. Also, rain/wetness and smoldering/overheating is something else to consider in RoG Adventure Mode, other added challenges.

Can one link to a RoG or plain world from an SW world?

You cannot link to a plain/vanilla world, only an RoG world.

When you begin a game in RoG, it should ask you if you want to make it "compatible with SW". If you say yes, then there is a new craftable item (Seaworthy) you can make that lets you hop between RoG and SW. If you begin in SW, the Seaworthy will be found somewhere in the world by default, and when you locate it, you can choose to link an existing RoG world to it, or link a brand new RoG world to it.

So you can't link to a plain world from SW, and I take it you can't link to SW from a plain world?

Does the Story/adventure mode change according to RoG? Did they update it to accommodate the differences RoG implements? Or is it exactly the same and the differences RoG represents causes random havoc?

Archived