Restructured tech tree.

The tree is obviously going to get bigger and you always forget where that 1 item your looking for you want to get going now.

Things like automation items should all be along the same line. The atmo sensor for example. Some games I will get it researched 1st while going for the suits. Yet I can't use it till I research automatic control.
As well as the high pressure vent. What good does it do without plastic. Animal control also requires plastic. Thermo sensor should also require automatic control researched.

If you get the electrolyzer you should get the Hydrogen generator or at least on the same line. Generator with the carbon skimmer.
Mechanized airlock goes with pressure management. Water sieve goes in decontamination. Etc.

Every tier 2 item should branch off advanced research.

Would like to see it flow better. I feel like I'm playing another game that I won't mention.

If you check that other post, you'd see my take on the research tree.   Specificly, that the current one is super place-holder and we'll infact be getting further research buildings that depend on higher tier materials to actually be made/research with, to actually push the base to advance along with research, not to power through research in the first 50-60 cycles and then actually build the stuff as you get the stuff built to handle it.  Like I almost always have full research tree done before I'm even looking at digging down to reach the oil biome to start plastics production, but if you change it so that all T4 researches require Plastics to even start researching it... that changes things dramatically.

IMO it does.   We should actually have to advance the base to start researching higher tier researches, and it shouldn't be something that you can power through at the start.   Having natural tech/build requirement gates can keep the insane research snowball a lot more under control, and prevent it from being "play with -1 dupe for the first 30-60 cycles, have all research done from that point forward and be able to completely ignore the existence of the scientist job."

The other post.

Using plastic for research is not a great idea.
To setup plastics there's already so much involved. Even after I have power some o2 setup. Which I'm usually fine tuning the polluted liquid fresh machine Also while trying to find a spot for oil processing and keeping that cold. All while the tech tree is going.

Re structuring the tech tree as is could add a few more techs in the tier 3-6 area. Maybe even a seventh.

Either way. I would be happy with a well flowing tech tree that 1 leads to the next.

Indecently. The polluted Air scrubber should be sooner. I go for it after my other 2. Then I tap into the slime biome early and use it to support a dupe or 2.

13 minutes ago, LTLking said:

The other post.

Using plastic for research is not a great idea.
To setup plastics there's already so much involved. Even after I have power some o2 setup. Which I'm usually fine tuning the polluted liquid fresh machine Also while trying to find a spot for oil processing and keeping that cold. All while the tech tree is going.

Re structuring the tech tree as is could add a few more techs in the tier 3-6 area. Maybe even a seventh.

Either way. I would be happy with a well flowing tech tree that 1 leads to the next.

Indecently. The polluted Air scrubber should be sooner. I go for it after my other 2. Then I tap into the slime biome early and use it to support a dupe or 2.

If you need plastics to research stuff based on plastics, then it isn't exactly messing anything up.    It may not be a consumed resource, just what you need to make the research station in question, and just a fairly high power consumption modifier, such as consuming 500W.   So long as you make sure all stuff that depends on plastics is on the same basic tier, the purpose is met in forcing a tech gate.

5 hours ago, Steelflame said:

If you need plastics to research stuff based on plastics, then it isn't exactly messing anything up.    It may not be a consumed resource, just what you need to make the research station in question, and just a fairly high power consumption modifier, such as consuming 500W.   So long as you make sure all stuff that depends on plastics is on the same basic tier, the purpose is met in forcing a tech gate.

What if you don't set up plastic. I've never been able to get a plastic setup sufficiently working. I have made a few pieces. Maybe 10 or so and then it overheats. It breaks or something always wrong with it. So I have to sit there and baby sit it if I want to keep it going.
In addition. What about all the people that wait till it's full release to start playing or even just purchase. You have to think about them. With all the things already going on. You going to make them learn all about making plastic and at the same time stop their research.

As I mentioned. How much effort it takes to setup an efficient plastic facility. You have to setup oil to crude. Then the steam or water coming off and manage the natural gas. Then you have to scale it. It takes a lot of power and so on.

Point is using a materiel you must create in the tree is a bad idea. If we do that. Why not add refined metal to the research for tier 3 items. Water and dirt is a given resources at the start. Let's just stick with that. Oil is a given resource. We could use raw oil for the research. What's wrong with simple.

Although  I wouldn't mine combining resources to make a 3rd tech item. Like using dirt in this machine to make tech parts to be used over in the lab.
Combine water and dirt to make tech 2. Then transfer tech to the lab and so on as other games have done in the past. When they made the big lab researchable and I saw the  tech thingy next to it. I I thought that's what we were going to have to do. They could have just said 100G of water makes 1 science but they chose to to go with 100G makes 1 tech 2 which makes 1 science....

P.S. Don't go into details on how to setup plastic. I try in every game but it never seems to make it.
I tried different setups. I watch videos. It doesn't seem to work consistently non stop for me.
If you want to REALLY REALLY want go into details about it.
Open 1 of my games and tell me what I'm doing wrong. That is the best way to help someone. It will allow you to see where someone is going wrong. Not just telling them something they've already heard and tried.

If you weren't going to. Good for you. Thumbs up. Was just stopping it before it got into a back and forth frustration of I tried that. It didn't work.

Again, the point of it is ALL plastics using research is tied behind you already making plastic.  If you never make plastic, you NEVER would have made those items anyway.  So at that point, you have lost nothing from your game.    Also, Plastic is the current "end" tier, refined metal was tier 3 material production I'd recommended for research, and you'd be able to get most of the research tree via it.

Archived