Feature Tweak - lower the spoilage rate of pickled meal lice

Pickled things generally last a lot longer than their non-pickled counterparts ( at least when stored )

Right now, pickled meal spoils at the standard rate of -3% per cycle. not sure if this baseline for all foods, but it could have a 'pickled' modifier bringing it more in line with -0.5% or 1% per cycle.

I'm not sure if pollution has further effects on this but I do remember a time when it wouldn't spoil. I suppose this really boils down to weather or not the pickled meal is actually in it's very own container as the iconography suggests.

3 hours ago, AileTheAlien said:

Or it could have more nutrition. Right now, you lose a huge percentage of calories, to get non-spoilage that's easier with freezers or CO2.  : S

Oh the next upgrade takes 1800 kcal of meal lice and pickles them into 1800kcal of pickled meal lice, so in that regard it's kind of fixed. I just wish there were at least some food mid game food that didn't spoil easily, or did so at a negligible rate.

Have you tried berry sludge? It says it's supposed to have an exceptionally long shelf life.
Not sure if that's just fluff text or has any effect.

Plus it's a +3 food that doesn't require pincha peppernuts, downside having to mess with sleet wheat.

It doesn't? Wow. I never knew, figured bristles were too bothersome to grow.

In that case I don't see why pickled lice doesn't have at least the same properties.

I wouldn't call it completely useless since now you at least don't lose any kcal in the process. And could serve as a surefire emergency ration in case stuff somehow goes **** up. Provided rot would be a lot slower at least. Of course sterile environs are always an option.

On 1/27/2018 at 4:30 PM, Ichikai said:

It doesn't? Wow. I never knew, figured bristles were too bothersome to grow.

In that case I don't see why pickled lice doesn't have at least the same properties.

I wouldn't call it completely useless since now you at least don't lose any kcal in the process. And could serve as a surefire emergency ration in case stuff somehow goes **** up. Provided rot would be a lot slower at least. Of course sterile environs are always an option.

Actually, meal lice will rot at 13% per cycle, while the pickled meal will rot at 3% per cycle. I wasn't even aware of the berry sludge not rotting, then again, I'm struggling to understand why we can't have a terrible quality food item that doesn't rot and that requires no water to produce - berry sludge seems like it would take quite a bit of work to establish.

Edit, on second thought, I'd be down with the recipe requiring some water to accomplish the rot resistance.

On 1/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, Ichikai said:

serve as a surefire emergency ration in case stuff somehow goes **** up. Provided rot would be a lot slower at least. Of course sterile environs are always an option.

If you build U-shaped pits to put your food storage into, it's trivially easy to get a permanent sterile environment, because CO2 and chlorine are heavy. If you put a roof overhead (and shape the walls / nearby floors correctly), then it literally cannot be disturbed, because no other fluid can come into those tiles.

Non-spoilage from CO2 and chlorine needs a nerf. For example, maybe CO2 is only half instead of complete protection, or the game uses up some chlorine every time a food item would have spoiled but got saved by the gas.

Archived