How to start a colony now?

Hi guys!

Today  I started on the new update branch, and I am having a horrible time starting a colony. I get high level diggers, cooks and scientists, and a regular level builder. When I try to tell them to start building, half of them go to idle and the other half do everything possible but building. Can someone supply a tutorial on how to start a colony with all the new jobs and such?

Have you used the job menu?

If you want buildings to get done before something else put it on higher priority.

I did start with 2 diggers and 1 builder to start with. 

You have to remember that sweeping is higher priority than building. 

It's kind of nutty at the moment, the first few cycles are best done without assigning jobs ( except for maybe a researcher )..but I don't think you even have to do that until the supercomputer needs using. After starting a few different bases, it seems like 4 cycles to get everything in motion, just as you would normally, but there's a need for getting food established quickly, I'm usually on cycle 6 before I have to deal with oxygen.

I'm lucky if I can get the whole layout in one day - three beds, two toilets and two sinks, and a hand pump in some water. Otherwise it's just the lavatory, they can sleep on the floor, that bathroom has got to be set up pretty quickly, it's the only thing I bother with on day one and I generally tend to make them in places where I don't have to do a lot of digging to set them.

Why I do assignee jobs is because of the bonus.  Miner can get you +4 (+3 if it is not prefererad) that is 100% faster digging. But if you are smart like I am not and get some one with mining +4 or more then it is not that necessary.  

One little trick I do when I first build the lavatory, is to build it after the first meal. That way they dont get food poisoning germs on the first bite if you havent got sinks yet. 

Archived