food storage in ice biome

Frig has preset internal temp regardless of power applied or location, so frig anywhere works the same everywhere.  That being said, a food storage box in the ice biome works like the fridge more or less, but CO2 works better than termperature IMO because its easy to sort, separate and maintain gasses easier than temps in many cases.

CO2 storage is easier, but I would argue that if you want realism, cold biome would be more realistic. 

Of course, I don't prioritize realism in my base.  I don't bother with things like fridges.  I just leave the food on the floor where it is harvested in my CO2 mealwood farm.

The thing about storing food is that when you control temperature, the food will still go bad.  It just takes longer.

On the other hand, if you store your food in a gas other than O2 or P-O2, the food cannot go bad.  It gains the "sterile environment" buff, halting the degradation of the food entirely.  And since, as Kabrute mentioned, dividing and sorting gases is much, much easier than regulating temperature in a room, it's the smarter choice.

Another note.  The Fridge structure is the more efficient storage object for food.  While each individual Fridge holds less total mass than a Ration Box, it is doing so in a single tile instead of 2 tiles.  You gain 50 kg of space by using 2 Fridges in the space that a single Ration Box would occupy.  And if you were needing temperature stability in the area, the mass of the Fridge is also larger than the Ration Box, so it takes more total heat energy to change the temperature of the area.  And you don't need to worry about plugging in the Fridges either, because you're building them in a "sterile environment", so the temperature of the food becomes irrelevant.

Archived