tuning file location

Hey so i'm starting up my own dedicated server, and during my setup I accidentally moved tuning.lua from its source to my desktop. I looked around for the file path it belongs in, but on my system there is no .../data/scripts folder. I've gone and already validated both my client and dedicated server files through steam. Also I ran that batch file, and seems like the server is starting up normally. But I don't want it to randomly crash because of this file.

-ps. when i do windows search for the file (thinking maybe i just copied it), only the tuning.lua for Don't Starve comes up, this is why i'm sure i've moved it and not just copied to desktop. 

Any ideas? thanks

tuning.lua

8 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

Not sure why they did that.

It's faster to load a single file from the serial-based disk drive than it is to load many small files.

The files may also get shifted around the drive during updates, causing disk cache fragmentation, which then causes overall slower performance if the files are to be read again.

Further, the zip file applies compression which, since all of the scripts are text based, introduced a nice file size footprint reduction of about 4.78 times less.

It was introduced in this update: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/dst/247542-r357/

2 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

It's faster to load a single file from the serial-based disk drive than it is to load many small files.

The files may also get shifted around the drive during updates, causing disk cache fragmentation, which then causes overall slower performance if the files are to be read again.

Further, the zip file applies compression which, since all of the scripts are text based, introduced a nice file size footprint reduction of about 4.78 times less.

It was introduced in this update: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/dst/247542-r357/

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Didn't expect that to influence boot times that much, since that wasn't overly many files. (compared ARK, etc.) (And I never noticed since I always played on SSDs.)

I never noticed the size either. DST is a small game, and the Scripts are a very small part of it. (Textures, sounds, etc. are usually much larger than text files.)

Archived