Automation-powered Waterproof Airlock

I had some fun designing a water-lock, for people who are running an undersea base, accidentally flooded the map with geyser water, or who just want a method more inventively stupid than ladders to get in and out of their water reservoir. This is the result:

fA0GhPE.jpg

XVI7nEi.jpg    

1. A duplicant leaving the base will be allowed to run straight through. The airlock will then cycle, pushing any water they let into the base out through the floor.

2. A duplicant entering the base will be trapped inside the airlock along with any water they let in. The airlock will then cycle, violently crushing them and causing death and/or grievous bodily injury.

3. This will serve as an example and deterrent for all the other duplicants, who will be especially careful not to let water into the base in the future.

Okay, so it doesn't actually crush duplicants, but not for lack of trying. The original intention was to close a door on their head to keep them in place while the lower doors opened and closed, until I learned they can walk on open doors so it's not necessary.

Since a door won't close on a duplicant, a few tiles of water are pushed into the same area as the entering dupe, before being pushed out through the floor. 

Our victim test subject assistant Ellie will now demonstrate the airlock in action.

m5QbX8t.jpg

4VNnxCD.jpg

Vq492gg.jpg

ZzdiAXW.jpg

1XedVDr.jpg

This product is provided as-is. [Company Name Here] takes no responsibility for any hypothermia, drowning, suffocation or grievous bodily harm stemming from use of this product.

There is slight issue with the dupe being locked like this. They will forget all tasks and drop all carried items when their path is blocked.

This is why most of the fancy airlocks use checkpoints and pressure plates. 

Solution here would be leaving the vertical doors on manual and putting two checkpoints with pressure plate and some liquid permeable tiles to the center.

2 hours ago, FutureJohny said:

There is slight issue with the dupe being locked like this. They will forget all tasks and drop all carried items when their path is blocked.

This is why most of the fancy airlocks use checkpoints and pressure plates. 

Solution here would be leaving the vertical doors on manual and putting two checkpoints with pressure plate and some liquid permeable tiles to the center.

Good tip! I started playing with checkpoints and adjusting the design and it ultimately lead me to a smaller, simpler, safer, and all around better airlock. This one is actually effective enough for me to consider using it outside debug mode.

VTbwZEn.jpg

DpOe0nN.jpg

Archived