How to make hand slot equippable object show up in FRONT of character instead of behind?

Basically I'm making an item that I want to show up in front of the player's arm (or completely in front of the player if needed) rather than behind. 

Here's what it currently looks like

image.png.40774503ced8e238f25032c85406575a.png

I want the arm to be invisible behind the object while it's held. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Eusong

Far as I know you're gonna have to create custom animations for that item.

Maybe someone is aware of some work around(Maybe use the animations of some peculiar item I forgot exists), but I suspect that there's no easy way to do this.

Maybe you can make the arm disappear, depending on what exactly you intend it to look like, but I can't really think of any other workarounds.

Edited by spideswine

We can't seem to find the symbol to override to make hand disappear. More instruction needed.

We've gotten both hands to become shield, we've gotten hands to become invisible, but no shield.

We've gotten Wilson to just become shield. We've also made armless Wilson move shield with telepathy. Can't make carry hand disappear.

Edited by Silentdarkness1

The way this thing works is that the symbols also have "sub symbols", for example the hand folder in the extended character template looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/3uCM0

you're interested in hand 1 and hand 4, so the leave the rest the same.(If you just switched it with only one symbol it's gonna swap everything with that, resulting in...this)

Edited by spideswine

9 minutes ago, spideswine said:

The way this thing works is that the symbols also have "sub symbols", for example the hand folder in the extended character template looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/3uCM0

you're interested in hand 1 and hand 4, so the leave the rest the same.

So you're saying that we need to specify a specific subsymbol, then? Like...

owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("Hand-1", "swap_buckler", "swap_buckler") ?

9 minutes ago, Silentdarkness1 said:

So you're saying that we need to specify a specific subsymbol, then? Like...

owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("Hand-1", "swap_buckler", "swap_buckler") ?

I don't think there's a way to swap the so called(by me) "sub symbols", you just need to make swap_buckler contain all these smaller ones, and only change the ones you want to changed(1 and 4 probably).

Edited by spideswine

2 minutes ago, spideswine said:

I don't think there's a way to swap the so called(by me) "sub symbols", you just need to make swap_buckler contain all these smaller ones.

So the asset bundle needs to simply have all the hands and such placed inside it? Or is it more involved than that?

Sorry, we've never really had to deal with something as complex as this before.

Just now, Silentdarkness1 said:

So the asset bundle needs to simply have all the hands and such placed inside it? Or is it more involved than that?

Sorry, we've never really had to deal with something as complex as this before.

Well they all have their pivots, so I'd suggest using the extended character template, deleting all of the assets but the ones of the hand, and working on those.

1 minute ago, spideswine said:

Well they all have their pivots, so I'd suggest using the extended character template, deleting all of the assets but the ones of the hand, and working on those.

This doesn't make sense.

That allows them to make a character with shields for hands, but what good is that?

And Wilson/Maxwell/Winona's hands don't match the normal white hands, nor do the SW characters - Klei would have to add the ability to swap left/right hand independently or this is probably impossible.

EDIT: Unless what you meant is to make copies of existing character's assets, but swap out their respective hand symbols with the buckler. Then equipping the buckler could change their anim bank/build to these bucker-characters and the opposite when unequipped - However it sure is a lot more work and may not even come out right. (Decompiler usually screws up characters)

Edited by IzzyXD

Just now, Silentdarkness1 said:

Well, in theory, the hand is supposed to be "hidden" behind the shield. That'd be perfect,actually.

I don't think it's possible at all. Even if you did what I edited into my post, as soon as you equip a hand skin it takes priority.

4 minutes ago, IzzyXD said:

This doesn't make sense.

That allows them to make a character with shields for hands, but what good is that?

And Wilson/Maxwell/Winona's hands don't match the normal white hands, nor do the SW characters - Klei would have to add the ability to swap left/right hand independently or this is probably impossible.

EDIT: Unless what you meant is to make copies of existing character's assets, but swap out their respective hand symbols with the buckler. Then equipping the buckler could change their anim bank/build to these bucker-characters and the opposite when unequipped - However it sure is a lot more work and may not even come out right. (Decompiler usually screws up characters)

Well this relies on the hands not being too different, or you can make special gloves for the shield, or the third option(It's not THAT much work, but probably better not done).

skins may be an issue, I'm not too sure how these things interact with them.

2 minutes ago, Silentdarkness1 said:

....Wait. Would a fake hand image work? A blank graphics file listed as a hand for all characters?

It'll make the hands invisible.

I'd check what izzy said to see if hand skins don't mess this up, try playing wilson with hand skins and see if they don't go through the shield in the current iteration.

Edited by spideswine

1 minute ago, Silentdarkness1 said:

....Wait. Would a fake hand image work? A blank graphics file listed as a hand for all characters?

Sure it would, but skins overwrite hand symbols.

Hand Symbols -> Skin Symbols -> Swapped Symbols

So there is no way to do it.

Swapped Symbols won't work, as it replaces both hands.

Skin Symbols you can't do, iirc - If you find a way to do it, this is the solution

Hand Symbols will just get overwritten as soon as they equip a skin

Wait..........now that you mention it, isn't there an API for modded custom skins? Although even if we did do that, we'd need a way to force that skin to always be on.

EDIT: No, that wouldn't work either. Illegal to do that to make it work with standard characters.