Numbers instead of checks under jobs for prioritization per dupe

Instead of on off toggles for jobs, numbers that prioritize the job per dupe.

Additionally, dupes that have a non zero priority for a job can be similarly ordered by a second set of numbers that are automatically generated as dupes join a job worker pool, but able to be modified.

Also, if dupes could be aware of how close other dupes are to finishing jobs, or if they could replace a less efficient worker, who could be better used elsewhere.

These things would make it seem more like a colony, and less like a few separate individuals trying not to get themselves killed.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:20 AM, ScreenNameMissing said:

While I like this idea, I don't believe putting numerical values in the Jobs section is a good (or plausible) idea. The jobs menu is similar to RimWorld's EXCEPT priority is a separate thing, instead of numerical values for each one (as RimWorld has). This keeps the game new and different.

MAYBE the numbers could be in a tab for each Dupe.
However, I think a better option would be an internal AI that each Dupe would prioritize jobs they are better at before lower ones.
As well, adding proximity to their priorities would allow for them to still advance their lower skill levels.

Say, you have a Meep with Digging 4, and Tinkering 1
and Mi-Ma with Digging 2 and Tinkering 7

They're both standing near digging and tinkering jobs.
Meep would go right to Digging while Mi-Ma would go right to Tinkering.

If Meep had Cooking 3 and Mi-Ma had Cooking 10, but Meep was right next to the Microbe Musher and Mi-Ma was across the map, Meep would do the job. (presumably once, while Mi-Ma made her way over, to take over the task.)

5 minutes ago, ScreenNameMissing said:

While I like this idea, I don't believe putting numerical values in the Jobs section is a good (or plausible) idea. The jobs menu is similar to RimWorld's EXCEPT priority is a separate thing, instead of numerical values for each one (as RimWorld has).

Why would it not be a good or plausible idea? It would require a change to the job system sure but so does your AI idea, in fact your AI idea would take much more dev time than a rimworld job priority system. And basing the priority on their skill level is the exact same system as a rimworld priority system except it's a automatic number instead of giving players the control.

Archived