How to make a gas type detection sensor

In some situations you might want to detect the presence of a certain type of gas. However, the game does not directly have a gas type sensor.

The solution is to use automation to trigger a gas pump for a second or two at certain intervals... say 6-10 times per cycle. Run that through a gas filter set to the gas type you want to detect (or use a mechanical filter). Vent that into a small room with only an atmo-sensor and a pump. At the presence of the gas set by the filter the atmo-sensor triggers. You use this trigger for whatever purpose you need and it also triggers the pump to run until it's a vacuum again resetting the sensor.

Pretty simple stuff really but I haven't seen it posted or used anywhere although a few people have mentioned it would be nice to have.

2017-11-09 (2).png

This can be useful in some situations. For example if you want to move out unwanted gases from your base that only occur in small doses.

In my current base I have a small setup for the heavy non-CO2 gases next to a skimmer that pump and filter chlorine and natural gas away into dump-storage. I didn't bother to calculate/estimate the up-time for this so I just hooked it up to a battery and two low priority wheels, so idling dupes can use it now and then. I call it the "fart mover".

This device here could be used in the automation update to specifically tell duplicants to do something when a gas appears. For example my fart mover would only be used when there is a sufficient amount of natural gas in my base. The wire to the battery could be cut off on standby, and on activation it would drain the battery.

Archived