Don't starve togheder doesn't work!

I had a problem with regular don't starve, and you helped me a lot! But now I have another, but with Don't starve togheder. I wanted to play with my friends, but it doesn't work! When I try to play it, it shows message: Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed). I tried everything, but I have no idea what to do! (I tried: copying files from other PC, restarting steam, redownloading steam, uninstaling game, EVERYTHING!) Please, help me... Don't starve is my favorite game of all time! Please...

@Pypecturbo, I had this problem once long ago, but unfortunately I don't remember how exactely I solved it. 

Have you tried to restart your whole computer? That usually helps with such errors.

Also I found this steam page (of another game, but the same issue), there are some ideas that worked for some people, maybe they'll help you too. https://steamcommunity.com/app/387990/discussions/0/451851477865442916/

@fimmatek I used most of these options, but i won't delete steam.exe, steamapps and userdata! I don't want to delete theese things, because I have more games, and I don't want to delete them! I will loose all my stuff or something, and it will make even more problems... Thanks for help, but it's too drastic. I hope someone else will help me...

18 hours ago, Pypecturbo said:

I had a problem with regular don't starve, and you helped me a lot! But now I have another, but with Don't starve togheder. I wanted to play with my friends, but it doesn't work! When I try to play it, it shows message: Steam must be running to play this game (SteamAPI_Init() failed). I tried everything, but I have no idea what to do! (I tried: copying files from other PC, restarting steam, redownloading steam, uninstaling game, EVERYTHING!) Please, help me... Don't starve is my favorite game of all time! Please...

Just now, Pypecturbo said:

@fimmatek I used most of these options, but i won't delete steam.exe, steamapps and userdata! I don't want to delete theese things, because I have more games, and I don't want to delete them! I will loose all my stuff or something, and it will make even more problems... Thanks for help, but it's too drastic. I hope someone else will help me...

If you have AV enabled, disable or even temp uninstall it.

Go into Task Manager, select Startup, and disable Steam, restart your PC and then boot Steam up.

Make a system image of everything related to Steam beforehand, so if anything goes wrong, you can just flash them back to their original state.

Download Process Hacker and nuke Steam, then restart it.

If push comes to shove, you might just have to reinstall Steam. What you can do is make a copy of all the Steam Files you want to keep (data and that sort of thing), or just rename the folders before you uninstall Steam, so that way they'll be safe. And then just put everything back into place once Steam installs.

Lemme know if that helped. :wilson_goodjob:

Archived