Gas valves

So I have a pipe with 1000g/s gas flow.

If I make a TEE intersection, the gas splits 500 g/s to each branch.

If I make a valve, and set the valve to 500 or more, I get 500 in each segment (which is silly but I am fine with given how they split flow they way they do; still would be nice to be able to set and get more than 500 but whatever)

However, if I set it to less than 500, say 150 g/s, I get 150 g/s in the one leg and only 350 g/s in the other.  This is because the valve causes the gas flow to start/stop every pulse.  This leaves you with full package sizes but only 50% of the gas flow in coming.

Is there a way to use gas valves without causing 50% loss in capacity to your pipeline?  The only work around I found was to NOT use valves and instead use multiple TEEs off the first TEE to loop back to the original outgoing flow so you can get 500, 250, 125 etc with the remaining continuing on the other line.

Bug or intended?

1 minute ago, chemie said:

Bug or intended?

I fixed it before in the past and what I found is that it introduces a point in the pipe that could cause a deadlock if another element packet gets in the line preventing the waiting packet from reaching the desired mass because it can no longer take on more mass. While it would make valves not useless, it would likely cause headaches.

5 minutes ago, Risu said:

I fixed it before in the past and what I found is that it introduces a point in the pipe that could cause a deadlock if another element packet gets in the line preventing the waiting packet from reaching the desired mass because it can no longer take on more mass. While it would make valves not useless, it would likely cause headaches.

So the valve is useless any time you want more than total 500 g/s flow incoming flow before the valve?  Too bad.  Much more a pain to have to have all these TEEs 

I'm not sure I understand the problem completely but maybe this might give you some ideas. Incoming pipe from the two pumps never have to stop. Or are these the "TEEs" you're talking about?

Here's the save - GasSplitTest.sav

• Incoming 1000g gas
  • First valve set to 150g
  • Second valve set to 400g
  • Leaving 450g for the third pipe

GasSplit2.thumb.png.b48d30400e846661cba04360284d1ace.png

All gasses pumped into my artificial voids.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:40 PM, MidnightSteam said:

I'm not sure I understand the problem completely but maybe this might give you some ideas. Incoming pipe from the two pumps never have to stop. Or are these the "TEEs" you're talking about?

Here's the save - GasSplitTest.sav

• Incoming 1000g gas
  • First valve set to 150g
  • Second valve set to 400g
  • Leaving 450g for the third pipe

GasSplit2.thumb.png.b48d30400e846661cba04360284d1ace.png

All gasses pumped into my artificial voids.

Not sure if the thermo regulators affect it too but see "Tee" and "Valve" (might start with valve to see the gas flow I am talking about ... air going through regulators and cooling base).  On valve, the gas starts and stops each tick.

Tee.sav

Valve.sav

I love these problems.

Valve: Two Solutions

First solution - Gas bridge, every other packet goes up; no clog on the right pipe and no gaps on the left pipe

Valve1.thumb.png.d5ccf5cc65005b665e2aead7442a14f1.png

Second solution - My preferred method. If green output is full it'll just go straight through. Every packet gets a little chunked off.

Valve2.thumb.png.65cf8117a1eb0ad9232770ffe3ca4b7c.png

TEE: Gas valve set to 750 and every packet gets chucked off. Not clogged by other gasses. The (green)output from the bridge gets priority so pick which pipe you'd like to get more control over; and this pipe will, 99% of the time, only receive oxygen.

TEE1.thumb.png.7b0e801eb9ab532036fbfcdcbb38046d.png

Woops, likes like they're all the same solution. Gas bridge and valve - that's really it.

Let me know if I got it right.

Archived