¨normal¨ pipes inside abyssalite tile

Technically this is a sound plan - from what I understand it shouldn't transfer any heat to the tile or any surrounding tiles because of it. Logically, it would be like having a massive insulated pipe conduit.

I've run very hot sandstone pipes through insulated sandstone tiles and not noticed any immediate issues, but this did begin transferring heat at a later time. So i'm guessing it wouldn't if it were abyssalite common or insulated variants.

I believe insulated types transfer at 5% of their normal rate when made in the insulated form. ..with abyssalite, 5% of next to nothing is even less, but still next to nothing.

Edit: This begs the question from any onlookers of what the best non abyssalite insulation material is? are we looking for thermal conductivity or specific heat to be on the low side?

30 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

are we looking for thermal conductivity or specific heat to be on the low side?

Depends on whether you want it done fast or large. With Abyssalite having extremely small conductivity it changes extremely slowly.
Polluted water, while moderately slow, contains a large amount of heat to move.
Wolframite has a high conductivity but a low heat capacity so it absorbs heat like a sponge, but it doesn't hold much.

1 hour ago, The Plum Gate said:

Technically this is a sound plan - from what I understand it shouldn't transfer any heat to the tile or any surrounding tiles because of it. Logically, it would be like having a massive insulated pipe conduit.

I've run very hot sandstone pipes through insulated sandstone tiles and not noticed any immediate issues, but this did begin transferring heat at a later time. So i'm guessing it wouldn't if it were abyssalite common or insulated variants.

I believe insulated types transfer at 5% of their normal rate when made in the insulated form. ..with abyssalite, 5% of next to nothing is even less, but still next to nothing.

Edit: This begs the question from any onlookers of what the best non abyssalite insulation material is? are we looking for thermal conductivity or specific heat to be on the low side?

I think the temp loss is due to the pipes sucking some. After they get to the temp of what they are moving, no more temp is lost... maybe?

Kasuha noticed that regular non-abyssalite pipes within regular abyssalite tiles will actually exchange heat on noticeable timescales. If the pipe is abyssalite or the tile insulated, the transfer is no longer noticeable. He speculated at the time that it might have something to do with distance basically being zero.

So when I run pipe through abyssalite tile, I make the pipe abyssalite, too.

25 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

Kasuha noticed that regular non-abyssalite pipes within regular abyssalite tiles will actually exchange heat on noticeable timescales. If the pipe is abyssalite or the tile insulated, the transfer is no longer noticeable. He speculated at the time that it might have something to do with distance basically being zero.

So when I run pipe through abyssalite tile, I make the pipe abyssalite, too.

tks,

question, if the transfer is not noticeable, why do u make the pipes abyssalite?

22 minutes ago, eloy2030 said:

question, if the transfer is not noticeable, why do u make the pipes abyssalite?

Ease really. I generally run my pipe all at once, if its not going anywhere I care too much about I'll run sandstone or igneous rock, anywhere i don't want it transferring any temperatures I run it in abyssalite.

If the color of abyssalite in the thermal overlay is bugging you, check the first couple of pages of the forum here - I recently started a topic on how to normalize your stores of it using the storage compactors ( zero electrical or thermal energy solution ). I have a tendency to run my abyssalite pipes behind walls because of the thermal overlay issues that abyssalite causes ( it doesn't usually change temperature without glitching or fiddling around with it ) I like to avoid the rainbow effect - it's confusing at present.

5 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

tks,

I run abyssalite when I want to insulate. If the pipe is going through an abyssalite tile, the only thing the pipe would interact with is that tile. And that isnt particularly usefulfor anything I want to do so I just make it all abyssalite since a standard abyssalite pipe is cheaper than using an unnecessary insulated tile out of abyssalite when in every other instance a standard tile of abyssalite functions effectively the same.

2 hours ago, Whispershade said:

I run abyssalite when I want to insulate. If the pipe is going through an abyssalite tile, the only thing the pipe would interact with is that tile. And that isnt particularly usefulfor anything I want to do so I just make it all abyssalite since a standard abyssalite pipe is cheaper than using an unnecessary insulated tile out of abyssalite when in every other instance a standard tile of abyssalite functions effectively the same.

makes sense.

I only use abyssalite in isulated, that´s why I got confused. I like to know what is insulted(abyssalite) and what not.

44 minutes ago, eloy2030 said:

I like to know what is insulted(abyssalite) and what not.

I get you completely here. But the insulated tile is twice as expensive. So I tend to mark off when pertinent using another tile type after the abyssalite. Usually when I'm making something, though, It is pretty obvious, to me, what I wanted insulated and what I wanted conductive, so there isn't often confusion.

I believe there is room for modding here. Insulated tiles and pipes are really expensive and everyone insulate with abyssalite and use abyssalite only to insulate. I hope I will have some time to dig into the game to see how it could be modded. I would see several ways to change that :

• either remove the use of abyssalite for building and make it the only material available for insulated pipes/tiles with a reduce cost,
  • or only rebalance insulation by increasing the insulation factor and reducing the cost factor,
  • or rebalance but also completely remove abyssalite from building materials (hard mode, since there would be no perfect insulation anymore)
  • or a variation of the last one where abyssalite is a needed component of the buildings but not the main one.

1 hour ago, Cilya said:

either remove the use of abyssalite for building and make it the only material available for insulated pipes/tiles with a reduce cost,

Using abyssalite for insulated buildings is complete overkill as it is. I see no reason to enforce this.

1 hour ago, Cilya said:

or only rebalance insulation by increasing the insulation factor and reducing the cost factor,

The cost factor IS the insulation factor. More mass equals more heat capacity.

1 minute ago, Risu said:

Using abyssalite for insulated buildings is complete overkill as it is. I see no reason to enforce this.

You said it, it's an overkill. So there is no reason for the player to use insulated tiles/pipes if it's not for aesthetic purposes. The goal of this kind rebalancing is to enforce the use of the elements already presents in the game.

3 minutes ago, Risu said:

The cost factor IS the insulation factor. More mass equals more heat capacity.

But not necessarily less thermal conductivity.

12 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

Last time I tested it two releases ago but by then, I got an abyssalite tile to minus 190 C in a few tens of cycles. The machine could have made more than mass of that tile of liquid oxygen instead of colling the tile but once the tile gets cold enough it stops being a problem.

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Last time I tested it two releases ago but by then, I got an abyssalite tile to minus 190 C in a few tens of cycles. The machine could have made more than mass of that tile of liquid oxygen instead of colling the tile but once the tile gets cold enough it stops being a problem.

But this doesn´t wpply to insulated abyssalite, does it?

6 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

But this doesn´t wpply to insulated abyssalite, does it?

Insulated abyssalite tile is waste of material, just build standard abyssalite tile and then either insulated pipe using standard material or standard abyssalite pipe through it. Even with abyssalite pipe you're better off on materials than if you build insulated tile.

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Insulated abyssalite tile is waste of material, just build standard abyssalite tile and then either insulated pipe using standard material or standard abyssalite pipe through it. Even with abyssalite pipe you're better off on materials than if you build insulated tile.

Yeah, I get this, but U only lose igneous, or whatever, and I like to be able to see which tiles have abyssalite.

tks!

Archived