Water flow management question

If a water source such as a liquid pump or purifier splits the flow and one end is going into no where, you still see the water pulses go to the unconnected end, ie using a T split and only one part of the T is connecter.

The question is the water being lost at this point? if I goes into a valve, which would limit the output flow pressure is the "unused" water simply not flowing or is it lost?

In other words, is there conservation of water? if we pump 1000kg of water and only see 500kg being used, is the other half simply wasted?

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, firosiro said:

If a water source such as a liquid pump or purifier splits the flow and one end is going into no where, you still see the water pulses go to the unconnected end, ie using a T split and only one part of the T is connecter.

The question is the water being lost at this point? if I goes into a valve, which would limit the output flow pressure is the "unused" water simply not flowing or is it lost?

In other words, is there conservation of water? if we pump 1000kg of water and only see 500kg being used, is the other half simply wasted?

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

It would be easier to answer if you provided some screenshots, I'm not sure I understand the scenario.

2 hours ago, firosiro said:

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Even without water I think I can say definitively that yes, there is conservation of water.  If you have a pump going through a valve and the valve is set to 5kg of water while your pump is pushing 10kg, you should notice that the water packers in the pipe in the plumbing overlay or SMALLER on the output side of the valve than they are at the input.  You should also notice that smaller packets are moving BETWEEN the larger 10kg packets on the input side, showing that only 5kg of water is actually MOVING in the input pipe, but that 10kg is THERE, available should the valve allow more flow, you won't magically destroy 5kg every tick.  Try this same experiment with a smaller packet size (1kg) to really notice the difference.

The same is true of buildings that only use a small amount of water/s.  If you watch the plumbing overlay while a dupe showers for instance, tiny packets of polluted water exit the waste pipe, and tiny packets move between the large packets in the feed pipe.

As for your T question, I could be wrong on this but I don't believe water would flow down a T that is ends in raw pipe (not a vent or building).  It would flow down it if there was any building with a valid input I believe, regardless of whether that building is active or not.  However, if you look at the plumbing overlay you should again see that one side of your T is moving at some rate, and the other side of your T is standing still, with however many tiles of pipe you have x10kg of water available to be pumped should the branch become active.  That said, even if water does flow down a completely unconnected pipe branch which I don't think it does, without a vent or consumer on the end of the pipe it has nowhere to go anyway, it would just stop moving and sit there once the pipe filled up.

Does that answer your question?

5 hours ago, firosiro said:

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

water isn't being lost in this scenario - its just outright bugged if it's still pulsing out towards the 'nowhere' end. If it came as a result of a disconnect or deconstruct, then it's just water sitting in the pipe - no big deal. The water pump will only pump when the pump's internal storage pipe completely empties. So if you have a pump on one end and drain on the other with a valve in between set at 2kg/s - the pump should only come on and fill its internal storage once every 5 seconds.

6 hours ago, Risu said:

You can see in the storage of the pump how much water is waiting to escape out into the pipe.

As risu said - watch the final section of pipe that connects to the pump (mouse over the green output of the pump itself and look at the liquid pipes contents).

image.thumb.png.0aebe86090ae5d8ae6af908dd14ae5f0.png

If you're draining the 10kg packet slowly through a valve somewhere, the pump will only kick on to pump a packet once this piece of pipe is empty. Essentially saving power, and being efficient as hell ;) 

Archived