Interesting observation on P-O2 and O2 gas movement

So I finally decided to turn my attention on making an oxygen distiller. For this I needed to study how P-O2 and O2 gas moves relative to eachother.

So I made a box and filled the the outlined green areas with 2kg/tile P-O2 at 300K, and blue outlined areas with 2kg/tile O2 at 300K. Let it run for 33 turns. And this is the result.

I paused and checked a few times during the run because I thought it was odd that each horizontal row seemed to have exactly the same distribution. And sure enough. At equal pressure and equal temperature the game does not differentiate between P-O2 and O2. One does not float on top of another. There's exactly 2 P-O2 tiles and 2 O2 tiles in every horizontal row at all times. They change positions all the time but the distribution stays exactly the same at all times.  

2017-09-14.png

I did two other tests at the same time where I filled the top with P-O2 and the bottom with O2. And the reverse in the other. No need to post pics of that because exactly nothing changed. The gas stayed where they were placed and did not move at all.

1 minute ago, Jcheung said:

I don't think you need to care about their movement when it actually gets into your cooler. Only when pumping...

I disagree. Since there's bound to be pockets of clean O2 forming in the distiller when it condenses, I needed to knowing if there's any vertically movement. More specifically, I needed to know if one or the other gas floated on top of the other. Knowing that there isn't any preference is a powerful tool to design the most efficient distiller.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

I disagree. Since there's bound to be pockets of clean O2 forming in the distiller when it condenses, I needed to knowing if there's any vertically movement. More specifically, I needed to know if one or the other gas floated on top of the other. Knowing that there isn't any preference is a powerful tool to design the most efficient distiller.

FI this is the case then you should start considering their temperatures and place cold 02 in with warmer PO2 to see if that has any effects on gas movement.

I have noticed this banding phenomenon with po2 and o2 in much larger rooms - didn't think it occurred in small spaces.

Archived