Easy way of cooling geysers

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this exact method was posted here, but I got the idea from Brothgar when he was cooling down polluted oxygen into liquid oxygen. The basic idea is to wrap geyser into abyssalite  enclosure and then create a small hydrogen filled cooling chamber on top. The chamber contains wheezeworts which cool down the surrounding hydrogen. Heat is transferred from the geyser enclosure through wolframite wire bridges.

It works like a charm and every steam eruption results in immediate condensation.

I am wondering if I can extend this idea to cool down liquids using the same technique.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 21.45.37.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 21.46.02.png

If you want to cool liquids this way - you got to make sure the container is filled and there are no gasses between the bottom of the separating tile and the liquid. The trick is that the top layer of liquid should be contain as little liquid as possible, less than the density of the hydrogen in the cooling room as a rule of thumb (the actual amount depends on the HC of the liquid). Be cearfull though, as if the temperature of the cooling room is below the freezing point of the liquid - the whole thing will instafreeze and you'll have to dig all the ice out, as 1000kg ice will take ages to melt

4 hours ago, m0ver said:

I am wondering if I can extend this idea to cool down liquids using the same technique.

I wont really do much cooling.

One wheezewort in a chamber of 2000g per tile of Hydrogen provides 24,000 watts of cooling.

It takes around 1.2m watts of cooling to chill the 4.2Kg/s of geyser output down to 25C.

Thats about 50 wheezeworts.

I had a design that slow dripped Geyser water into a separate area to collect using Weezeworts and it worked great for the first 50 cycles until the Weezeworts began to overheat. It most likely would have worked longer, but I upped the flow of water to save the colony because I was running out of water by the time I got it built. I should go back to it because I thought up a new design that should work.

2 hours ago, FR4NK said:

I wont really do much cooling.

One wheezewort in a chamber of 2000g per tile of Hydrogen provides 24,000 watts of cooling.

It takes around 1.2m watts of cooling to chill the 4.2Kg/s of geyser output down to 25C.

Thats about 50 wheezeworts.

this design takes advantage of the thermodynamic transfer bug to achieve much more effective cooling than that, although I haven't tested this exact version of it.

I've been building this for quite some time now ;)

First showed it on stream over a month ago - works like a charm.

Tends to perform best when the wheezeworts are positioned above, rather than below - also, a surround of granite tiles functions much better - pair it with the bridges if you like, but it's negligible.

One thing to note - make sure you leave some gas in the chamber, as vacuums don't transfer heat remember....

9 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Come on guys, topic is about an "easy" way ^^
Here is mine. In the storagelockers is ice, when i run low on it, i use waterdroptech to cool it down, easy.

That's not water cooling, that's ice wasting ;) It's a tactic we all use, but sadly due to the mass loss when you actually make ice (i.e. half the mass of the tile of water is lost when it freezes) it's not an endless resource - especially with a high demand base.

Passive cooling is perfect for these reasons. It's free, portable and requires no dupe maintenance. 

14 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

.. that's ice wasting ;)..

I flood all icebiomes with polluted water and melt them down. I like to watch it melting. Then i pump the polluted water into another icebiome and when the old one is empty, i collect the rest of ressources. I have no other use for ice. Dupes get hypothermia from it, ice is evil!

When it comes to "passive cooling" i use waterdroptech in combination with a wheezie, easy to cool whole base with it, when needed.

Archived