Is it possible to produce phosphorite?

Hey everyone, 

i have an almost 100% self sufficient colony right now: infinite water, energy, oxygen and diversified food. The only thing missing is infinite phosphorite to keep fertilizing the pincha pepperplants, cause I want to keep making pepper bread and stuffed berry. I can keep digging it for a while, but I'd rather find a stable source from some kind of transformation. I know there is phosphorus in liquid and gas form towards the bottom of the map, but not sure what to do with it. Has anyone experimented with producing phosphorite somehow?

Hi,

Ccan you show us how your base is working ? Like how you do infinite water, energy, oxygen and food :) Like with screenshots and all :)

Concerning your question, I can tell you that playing with the debug mode will help you. What I did a couple weeks ago was to create a Test world, empty little by little the world while saving after every successful "erasing action" up until it's empty. Then create a box with insulated tile, and then vaccum it. Finally, get to speed x1, and for example fill it with sand 1000kg and 5000°K, unpause, wait a bit you will see the sand decomposing into other stuff then repause. And you'll be able to see that the sand becomes molten glass, then something else, then I think rock gas.

You can erase it all, then try again with another type of block. You'll finish to find what you look for eventually, then go back to "how did you get it ?".

Or you can wait for an exact answer in a few minutes I suppose :p

1 hour ago, DotZip said:

Can you show us how your base is working ? Like how you do infinite water, energy, oxygen and food :) Like with screenshots and all :)

Ok, I'll do that later, maybe make another thread about it.  It's a 10 dupes colony. Water from 2 geysers, food from growing everything except meelwood that I don't grow anymore.  Oxygen is using open mechanical filter type systems, with only  1 pump for hydrogen. A bit like electrowheeze, but bigger and cooled by cold water radiators instead of wheezeworths, so you can do them early game and they provide almost all energy needed for your whole early game base..  I'm always having trouble priming electrowheeze setups, so I prefer this design.

1 hour ago, DotZip said:

Concerning your question, I can tell you that playing with the debug mode will help you.

I played with debug mode extensively, that's how I came up with all my self-sustaining designs. And of course by reading lots of threads on forums.

1 hour ago, DotZip said:

I think the only infinitely sustainable high quality food is fried mushrooms. But you need to be careful about your pufts - generate polluted water, let it outgas to polluted oxygen, let pufts turn it to slime, then use it to fertilize your mushrooms. You should have plenty of polluted water available since you're not irrigating pincha peppers and don't need to run fertilizer makers for fertilizer.

ok thanks guys!

Nice trick Kasuha, thanks!

I have so much polluted water, right now, that I can totally farm anything with it. That's all I use it for, I don't need to filter it since I have infinite water.

And my fertilizer/natural gas geyser power plant, is fully self sustainable, it provides all the polluted water for the fertilizers. (Brothgar's design)

So I guess the end game for me will all be about digging phosphorite, farming slime, exploring for ruins( which I almost all found already), and maybe grow the size of the colony, but I don't see a good reason for that. ;) 10 dupes is perfectly fine, game is already starting to lag with what I have right now. 

9 hours ago, manu_x32 said:

I'm able to make solid phosphorus by making gas phosphorus go in a cold biome to cool down.  But it doesn't seem to be the same as phosphorite, and for some reason, dupes don't want to sweep solid phosphorus...

Ok, bout to get disgusting in here.  Fertilizer, in real life, is measured by its NPK content, for short. (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium).  Human waste, judged by it's NPK content, is relatively highest in N, moderate in K, and low in P.  So, it makes sense that in ONI agriculture, the fertilizer which we might assume often comes mostly from lavatories/showers might need supplement from naturally occurring phosphorus, which the game currently achieves by having some plants take fertilizer, some phosphorite, and some slime.  However, fertilizer is commercially measured not by exactly P, content, but by its P2O5 content instead, phosphate, and phosphorite ingame is described as a sedimentary rock comprised largely of phosphates.

One more gross post: since manure is a bit low in phosphates compared to its nitrogen potassium content, where does the phosphate in commercial fertilizer come from?  Not from urine, that's also comparatively low, although it is possible.  You either mine it in what is basically phosphorite form like in ONI, or grind up animal/fish bones (calcium phosphate).  So, hopefully when we get the "animal update" we'll get renewable phosphorite. Yum.

Archived