Orange Germs?

I was playing ONI earlier and noticed some orange germs near slimelung germs. When I went to see what they were, they disappeared. The germ overlay only has green (slimelung) and yellow (food poisoning) in the color key so I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what germs they were.

Could be just a graphical bug. Those happen quite commonly when scrolling - "sweating" tiles as if everything was melting, fog of war being uncovered. Those last a frame of so. They seem to affect C++ side of the game, which likely covers germ colonies on map too (it's performance-heavy).

Probably caused by uninitialized memory being read as a germ map, before processing finished.

I couldn't find the place where colors for diseases are defined. Looks like they're in assets and not hardcoded.

9 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Could be just a graphical bug. Those happen quite commonly when scrolling - "sweating" tiles as if everything was melting, fog of war being uncovered. Those last a frame of so. They seem to affect C++ side of the game, which likely covers germ colonies on map too (it's performance-heavy).

Probably caused by uninitialized memory being read as a germ map, before processing finished.

I couldn't find the place where colors for diseases are defined. Looks like they're in assets and not hardcoded.

interesting. I've seen the melting tiles before a lot, didn't realize that graphical bugs were caused by  that sort of processing

with yesterday's build, i was seeing exaggerated germ counts at the edge of my screen when scrolling in the germ overlay - they would be there, briefly, then dissappear as I scrolled over to them. Some of these were green some yellow, etc. Seems like the germ overlay assumes everything is covered in germs until it checks what you'r looking at. I dunno, might be able to replicate this on an underpowered system - have a feeling it's just the overlay updating in an unusual manner.

Archived