Where are my Ice Biomes?

I've made a number of new games (spent over 5 hours now) looking for a map that has a ice biome near the starting area.  ALL of the maps have had the starting area surrounded by a combination of slime and the purple biomes (the one with chlorine).  Is this an intended change or have I encountered an unusual string of world seeds?

Does anyone know of a world seed that has a Ice biome near the starting area?

4 hours ago, NuriaSabr said:

Is this an intended change or have I encountered an unusual string of world seeds?

It is the new norm, near as I can tell (speaking as a closed testing branch tester).  Personally I welcome the change, for more challenge.

If you're really worried about the slime/hot biome's temperature invading your starting area, try to keep a lot of solid material between you and the hot biome while you get ready to explore. Then, dig through the middle of abyssalite veins, without breaking their edges. This way you can look for ice biomes and get a whole bunch of abyssalite at the same time. You can use that to build an insulating wall around your starting area to keep the heat out. Worked very well for my latest 200 cycle save I was running in testing.

I'm curious how bad it really does get if you don't bother insulating though. Dupes always seemed pretty resilient to a wide range of temperatures. One time some of them even stepped into liquefied oxygen at -190 C to do maintenance inside an oxygen liquefier and they came out just fine! (But I wouldn't try to have them do that for longer periods or regularly)

2 hours ago, Sevio said:

One time some of them even stepped into liquefied oxygen at -190 C to do maintenance inside an oxygen liquefier and they came out just fine! (But I wouldn't try to have them do that for longer periods or regularly)

For some reason all they can get from very low temperatures is hypothermia, while very high temperatures can scald them

Archived