Need help with speed stat

I would like to make it so my mod character has a slightly above average starting speed, and have their speed increase over time as they move. I've seen another mod character do a similar thing, but I felt like just copy+pasting the code would be pretty rude of me.

Another thing, not necessary but would be appreciated, is if I could get some help with making sanity drain faster with wetness level.

Thanks! :D

8 hours ago, Glitchiest said:

I would like to make it so my mod character has a slightly above average starting speed, and have their speed increase over time as they move. I've seen another mod character do a similar thing, but I felt like just copy+pasting the code would be pretty rude of me.

It may be rude to use someone's textures in your mod without & it's definitely rude to just reupload someone else's mod to your account, but copy pasting code is not rude at all, in fact people feel honored when you use their code in your mod :)! When I first started modding I had to copy paste code from other mods all the time & I know many other people when beginning had to do the same, plus getting help on the forums for code technically count as copy pasting code since you're copy pasting code the person helped you gave you :lol:.

So, it would be 100% okay for you to get the code of the scout mod then your character speed up the longer they move :wilson_dorky:!

Edited by SuperDavid

It's ok to look at others mods to see how they work. It's ok to copy/paste as long as you do it correctly.

Meaning : copying and pasting small function that are common is pretty ok. Like giving sanity when the character kill something or similar variation, this is pretty common so no problem.

If it's a big function or something very special, and if you feel like the modder did a big work for doing this code, ask him or her. Most modders will be pleased to share code, usually. If someone spent hours making a very specific question, it's better to ask (and i feel like it's ok if he/she says no since it's a lot of work after all, but this is a personal point of view. Of course, i'm speaking of specific code, here)

If you aren't sure, ask.

If the code is helpful to you, a credit somewhere (and a link to the mod) is always appreciated :)

Also, of course, if you are copying someone else code, try to do something different enough so his/her mod isn't made useless.

Agreed, if you're gonna use my mod's code, specifically something special and unique like the ramping speed which was an effort to get going, and not change anything about the function then please give my mod or whoever's mod you may also use some credit somewhere.

Learning and studying good code is a great way to develop your coding skills, I'd personally say try and tune it into something different and unique to your mod because copy and pasting and changing like "tf2scout" to "urcharacter" doesn't teach you much, it'll also make ur character appeal to more the more unique they are!

I've seen quite a bit of code and art from my mods taken without credit or asking, so if I can butt in and get a chance to have credit given for once I'm gonna try it, ty :wilson_flower: 

and not everyone will be honored to have their code pasted w/o unique changes it's more of an "oh, ok" or flattered moment but still always try to give credit if you're just starting out ty, just my thoughts <3

On 8/3/2017 at 6:11 AM, CheeseNuggets101 said:

Agreed, if you're gonna use my mod's code, specifically something special and unique like the ramping speed which was an effort to get going, and not change anything about the function then please give my mod or whoever's mod you may also use some credit somewhere.

Learning and studying good code is a great way to develop your coding skills, I'd personally say try and tune it into something different and unique to your mod because copy and pasting and changing like "tf2scout" to "urcharacter" doesn't teach you much, it'll also make ur character appeal to more the more unique they are!

I've seen quite a bit of code and art from my mods taken without credit or asking, so if I can butt in and get a chance to have credit given for once I'm gonna try it, ty :wilson_flower: 

and not everyone will be honored to have their code pasted w/o unique changes it's more of an "oh, ok" or flattered moment but still always try to give credit if you're just starting out ty, just my thoughts <3

Sorry for the late reply

Yeah, I decided to post this because it just didn't feel right to go through a mod that someone else made and pull bits out for myself, especially one that had so much effort put into it (AWESOME work btw!)

But like, for now I've decided to keep his speed static - I'm moving this mod to singleplayer (specifically shipwrecked) and I'm balancing his fast movespeed with thalassophobia (severe fear of the ocean) and with all the time spent at sea, I think that adds risk to the character to make him more fair. :p