A couple of original Don't Starve concepts for DST

I'm not sure how popular this first one might be, or even how feasible it might be code-wise these days, but it is something that I think is worth considering re-introducing to DST from the original: guaranteed hound / worm attack cycles. No logging out to dodge them, no hiding in the caves / overworld when they're about to start, each player WILL have to deal with these attacks after a set amount of time. You can override them if you stay above / below ground when another one would start (staying above ground for 20+ days for instance would still only trigger one worm attack event for instance shortly after entering the caves, and that would only start counting after your first visit to the caves).

Again, I realize this is probably not particularly feasible code-wise at this point, but for larger servers, this would alleviate lag caused by all the spawns, at the expense of hound /worm attacks being more frequent, even if they aren't targeting other players right away who had already dealt with their own wave. 

Alternatively, instead of the global, server-wide attacks, these could be put on a  per-player timing so that each player will fight their own wave at varying times. 

Second concept from the original, inspecting your own corpse proccing the character's unique response instead of the new one that they give for a player corpse regardless of who it is. So a Maxwell for instance inspecting his own corpse would say "The master has become the student" again, instead of his usual "(Player) was unable to deal with (Death source)."

I  feel like the first one would just cause a headache if you have a lot of players who joined in on differen't days still making a lot of frequent spawns.

I do however like the second option but that changes nothing about the game.

@Donke60

As I said, I know it probably won't be too popular, but it would be a necessary evil to combat server lag for those that like to run 10+ players... plus it would be a lot more manageable than having 1-2 dozen hounds on screen.

9 minutes ago, Quyzbuk said:

@Donke60

As I said, I know it probably won't be too popular, but it would be a necessary evil to combat server lag for those that like to run 10+ players... plus it would be a lot more manageable than having 1-2 dozen hounds on screen.

No I'm saying that it would just move the problem to a different area not really fix it.

4 hours ago, Donke60 said:

No I'm saying that it would just move the problem to a different area not really fix it.

Well the intention is not really to fix, that's just an added bonus(?). The intention is to disallow the intentional dodging of these events.

Archived