As it stands now some machinery reduces decor, possibly because it is ugly, smelly, etc.

But what about noisy machines?

Some machines (eg. generators, pumps) might cause noises and disrupt sleep, and possibly affect stress and/or decor.

By the same token, certain tiles, doors, etc should block sound, while those tiles that allow gasses through should not.

Just a thought

Noisy machines that produce the same effect as Loud Sleepers / sneezers to wake your Dupes would make sense; you'd want to plan your layout such that you're not putting your bedrooms next to your deafening machinery. Only display the noise radius at night so that it isn't constantly cluttering the view, because we might not want to go far enough that we need a noise overlay. It'd be cool if noise machines could disturb sleeping wildlife, though...

Future machines like rock crushers or bigger generators might generate sufficient noise to wake the sleeping, but I could also see more common machines like Air Scrubbers being bothersome to sleep next to.

But really, how often are you going to even think about putting that stuff anywhere close to your dupes beds?  Early days aside, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put beds near anything other than art and more beds.  It'd probably be a more effective mechanic if it had effects beyond sleep, like the aforementioned decor reduction when running.  And if a dupe spends too much time near such machinery, they can develop tinnitus or something.  Kind of like how being in the cold too much currently causes hypothermia (though that particular 'disease' may change in the disease revamp, far all we know). 

Archived