Radio Transmitters and Switches

I propose something like a switch that can operate on the power grid. It consists of two items: a radio transmitter and a radio switch. Each of them can be set to respond to a particular radio frequency. The transmitter takes, say, 10W of power and transmits at that frequency. The radio switch can be set to disable its wire like other switches when receiving (or not receiving) that frequency.

This would allow for wireless broadcasting of temperature/pressure conditions across the map. It would be easy to chain with the existing switches, so for example you could put a thermo switch before a transmitter, to broadcast when a temperature has been reached.

I was thinking about something similar for quite a while. If you want e.g. to control a liquid pump based on water level in a pool on the other side of the map, the options include either drawing a dedicated control wire around the whole map (ugly) or putting a locally operated filter at the pipe end (adds up to the pump's power demand and does not cover all use cases).

My idea was abstract from the radio frequency - simply adding an ability to current manual power switches to establish a remote link to temperature/pressure/hydro switch somewhere else, which would make it copy its switching action. The switch would not be operable manually until the link is removed, and the connection could be displayed as a line between the two paired devices in the map when either is selected. 

Why stop at just wireless signals for temperature/pressure? Wireless signals could be used for decor as well. I'm not talking tesla levels of wireless electricity, but you could set up a radio station and have smaller receivers to let music play in rooms. The level of decor would depend on the Duplicant performing, of course, so you'd either want a high art skill Dupe doing it, or maybe even add a performance skill.

@Hero Of Holios There was a suggestion like that posted here. I think that although they can both be called radio they are mechanically different enough that they should be considered separate suggestions, but I do think it's a cool idea-- it would give a more interesting aspect to Creativity, one that scales beyond painting faster and making Dupa Lisas.

Archived