A question for you

Because if you could use polluted water then you could just loop the output to the input and use very little water (maybe needing a topup every now and then). And it wouldn't make much sense if the toilets output much less polluted water so that couldn't be exploited as much. If instead it outputs polluted dirt with a much less output of polluted water, it wouldn't make much sense over the outhouse. 

That wouldn't work, I tried using a closed system running the water through a purifier and then back to the toilets. You don't need a topup, you need a way to remove excess water from the system so the pipes don't clog.

Really though, a graywater system is more economical overall? Like, if your plumbing goes shower>lavatory>purifier>clean water reservoir, then you've saved on the power, time, and filtration medium required to purify that water that's really only being used to carry away polluted water the dupes are putting out. Maybe it could be something you research; it doesn't necessarily give you any new machines, it just flips a flag in the code and allows you to use polluted water for your lavatory input.

Well no, that's why you start with clean water in the shower. In real life that's the whole point of graywater systems, saving water and resources by using used water for things that don't absolutely drop-dead need clean water.

Graywater may be an interesting idea in real world, particularly in places where water is scarce. Or for environmental freaks. But first I don't think it's necessary to pull that complexity to the game just to have a few pipes with it in an average base, and second it's not so easy even in real life. If you just route water from the shower to the toilet, it will clog or get damaged soon. You still need to filter the water, remove any solid particles and remove chemicals that are corrosive or make deposits before you can reuse it.

4 hours ago, Chowder said:

That wouldn't work, I tried using a closed system running the water through a purifier and then back to the toilets. You don't need a topup, you need a way to remove excess water from the system so the pipes don't clog.

So what you are saying is that you can loop toilets/showers -> filters and never having to pump in more water but instead create more water that you put in? I'm pretty sure you can't do that, if you could that would be a bug.

Turn off your liquid pumps and I'm sure you will see the amount of water in the system going down over time.

3 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

So what you are saying is that you can loop toilets/showers -> filters and never having to pump in more water but instead create more water that you put in? I'm pretty sure you can't do that, if you could that would be a bug.

Actually that's how the game works. Each use of lavatory generates about 5 kg more polluted water than the amount of clean water used. Check the in-game description. Showers go 1:1 AFAIK. No bug involved, just more of ONI physics - you essentially turn sand into water.

38 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Turn off your liquid pumps and I'm sure you will see the amount of water in the system going down over time.

No, yeah, see, you ARE putting more water in. Like, from the dupes. They're using the lavatory to poop, which necessarily means that more material is going into the system. Like, when a dupe can't get to a toilet and Makes A Mess all over the floor? That's going into the system every time a dupe uses the loo. In fact it even gives a little message "delivered however many kg of polluted water" like when they put things into things. Showers don't do this because dupes aren't adding any more material, unless Klei decides to add "pooping in the shower" as a function (please don't).

Granted, I don't habitually crap out an entire cat, but whatever.

Archived