Not understanding why circuit is strained

I have a closed circuit using potentially 1920W if all the switches are on, and have used a combination of heavy wiring and regular wiring to get it from the generator to the devices. I only use the standard wiring when branching off from the heavy stuff and delivering to a series of devices that would use less than 1000W but I am still getting a strained system.

Screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/UlN0x

Am I misunderstanding how the heavy/regular wiring interacts and instead of what I'm doing I need to have heavy wiring from start to every end point? Thanks.

13 hours ago, Rheves said:

Am I misunderstanding how the heavy/regular wiring interacts

Yes. Heavy Wire is intended to be used as a backbone (all the generators and big battery banks attached to it) and transformers are to be used when you want to branch off a normal wire.

57 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

Yes. Heavy Wire is intended to be used as a backbone (all the generators and big battery banks attached to it) and transformers are to be used when you want to branch off a normal wire.

Attaching batteries to "big line" doesn't work too good I have seen micro powerloses in some of my small circuits even if big batteries that are attached to "big line" are loaded. Only attaching batteries to individual small circuits have fixed that problem. Thats how UPS works.

3 minutes ago, indu said:

Attaching batteries to "big line" doesn't work too good I have seen micro powerloses in some of my small circuits even if big batteries that are attached to "big line" are loaded. Only attaching batteries to individual small circuits have fixed that problem. Thats how UPS works.

Well, he said "intended", and you are running into an issue where transformers don't seem to be able to deliver 1000w consistently, but I don't think that's intended, I think that's more like a bug.  In practice I use a large battery on the heavy line, and then 1 battery per small line as well.

11 hours ago, Trego said:

Well, he said "intended", and you are running into an issue where transformers don't seem to be able to deliver 1000w consistently, but I don't think that's intended, I think that's more like a bug.  In practice I use a large battery on the heavy line, and then 1 battery per small line as well.

I have seen those microfreezes even if transformers are fully loaded. I have heard other people report the same. There is probably some issue with transformers.

19 minutes ago, indu said:

I have seen those microfreezes even if transformers are fully loaded

It is a bug that will be fixed, add a battery to the output side of the transformer as a workaround.

It is a good idea anyways for normal wire grids that you deem important enough to keep working even when your power backbone ceases to function for some reason - good examples are the wires that supply the pumps that feed hydrogen or natural gas toward generators or the scrubbers that prevent CO2 output pipes from NGG from clogging up - adding a wheel to these so you can kickstart the system isn't a bad plan too. Or add enough coal generators to your backbone as emergency power supply.

On 7 Июнь 2017 г. at 7:55 AM, Rheves said:

I have a closed circuit using potentially 1920W if all the switches are on, and have used a combination of heavy wiring and regular wiring to get it from the generator to the devices. I only use the standard wiring when branching off from the heavy stuff and delivering to a series of devices that would use less than 1000W but I am still getting a strained system.

Screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/UlN0x

Am I misunderstanding how the heavy/regular wiring interacts and instead of what I'm doing I need to have heavy wiring from start to every end point? Thanks.

Yeah, it doesn't quite work like this. :) Think of a curcuit as a whole, no matter which parts of it are heavy wire and which are normal.

The whole circuit is gonna be loaded with the power you drain from it, unless you have transformers. So if it is loaded beyond 1kw, all the normal wire parts of your curcuit are strained. Electricity doesn't travel like water through pipes, it doesn't become smaller after branching. :)

Archived