Could we get bigger capacity pipes?

So like title says, could we get bigger capacity pipes?

For example not first base i build, my resources like fresh water is far from base and i need a lot of water, so i build 2-3 lines of pipes, but then when you want to cross these pipes, its hard, as you need to leave gaps and such.

So like heavy watt wire, we could have heavy pipes maybe?

I never really needed liquid pipes with higher capacity than what's in the game but I guess it's a legitimate request. A 'hideous' pipe with 100 kg of liquid per segment could be useful as high capacity pipe buffer too, not just for high capacity transport.

A fatter pipe that can't go through walls would be a logical upgrade, but how the heck do you pump enough water into it?

I also briefly imagined what a 2x2 pipe would look like, then realized that any water system using that much water is best expressed as a tile-based channel... except it'd only work downhill.

14 minutes ago, LeadfootSlim said:

how the heck do you pump enough water into it?

Using multiple pumps and standard pipes joining the heavy pipe.

It could also have a limitation that you cannot put an input or output on it, and you would need to branch a standard pipe off it before you can route it to a machine or vent.

lUYZ61q.jpg

6 hours ago, Kasuha said:

It could also have a limitation that you cannot put an input or output on it, and you would need to branch a standard pipe off it before you can route it to a machine or vent.

I like it. Though your diagram does show one immediate problem - the current system does an excellent job of visually segregating electrical, water, and gas systems with corresponding skinny, medium, and fat lines. A fatter high-capacity-pipe would disrupt that. On the other hand, heavy-watt wire already does something similar, and it's hardly a problem.

While we're on the subject of piping, a passive drain would be a lovely addition for those times you want to distribute water from a high point to a low one... provided you don't accidentally get a perpetual siphon loop going.

11 minutes ago, LeadfootSlim said:

a passive drain would be a lovely addition for those times you want to distribute water from a high point to a low one... provided you don't accidentally get a perpetual siphon loop going.

Pumps are just machines that move the liquid from environment to the pipe, they don't propel pipe contents. That's done by the pipe itself in a similar manner how intestines work. It's better to keep some power cost at this point since the other direction is already free using vents. 

Archived