Various questions (statues and relocating mobs)

In some videos I saw people having a lot of marble statues in all kinds of types but you need the sketch to make one statue. So if I want more I need more sketches?! How do you get more? On the wiki it says sketches are dropped by the Pig King http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Sketch

but how?

I also saw people relocating no eyed deers but after they despawned will they respawn in that location where the player put them the year before? My deers seem to spawn in my decidous forest on the border of the swamp and then they wander off. How can I relocate them more or less permanently? (and yes I know, they will despawn at the end of winter, I'm just curious how people manage to "trap" them.)

I'm interested in those glass statues from the Antlion. How is the best way to get them without dying. How can you avoid getting trapped in its sandcastle ring and savely light the castles on fire? Will the fire spread automatically or do I have to lit them one by one? (I want to prepare myself properly that's all)

14 minutes ago, disies said:

In some videos I saw people having a lot of marble statues in all kinds of types but you need the sketch to make one statue. So if I want more I need more sketches?! How do you get more? On the wiki it says sketches are dropped by the Pig King http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Sketch

You can find trinkets in tumbleweeds based on the statues. you can also do the delivery for the petrified marble statues.

15 minutes ago, disies said:

I also saw people relocating no eyed deers but after they despawned will they respawn in that location where the player put them the year before? My deers seem to spawn in my decidous forest on the border of the swamp and then they wander off. How can I relocate them more or less permanently? (and yes I know, they will despawn at the end of winter, I'm just curious how people manage to "trap" them.)

if you hit one all of em will move. So you can have the time to pen em. when you pen em they will know they are penned and stay there even if you leave the screen.

17 minutes ago, disies said:

I'm interested in those glass statues from the Antlion. How is the best way to get them without dying. How can you avoid getting trapped in its sandcastle ring and savely light the castles on fire? Will the fire spread automatically or do I have to lit them one by one? (I want to prepare myself properly that's all)

grab friends and torches and beefalos.

10 minutes ago, disies said:

In some videos I saw people having a lot of marble statues in all kinds of types but you need the sketch to make one statue. So if I want more I need more sketches?! How do you get more?

For the kingly, queenly and pawn sketch you find more in tumbleweeds after you've mined at least one of the respective statues in the world. For the rook, bishop and knight sketch you find a black/white trinket in tumbleweeds after you've mined at least one of the respective statues. Giving this trinket to pig king will yield some gold and the respective sketch.

Crafting a statue doesn't consume the sketch by the way. It just unlocks that statue in the potter's wheel and you can get the sketch back by destroying the potter's wheel.

14 minutes ago, disies said:

No-eyed deers don't despawn if they're close to player structures. If you relocate deers from a natural herd, they'll try to run to their herd point and it will look ugly if they're inside walls. Freed deers from the Klaus fight will never despawn or belong to a herd, so they work great for relocating.

15 minutes ago, disies said:

You can attack the sand castles/spikes to destroy them, so you never get trapped. Fire doesn't spread if you burn one. I'd suggest having a friend distract the Antlion by letting himself be targeted by the spikes while you burn the castles/spikes and carry them far enough from the fight, so the Antlion's attacks don't destroy them.

36 minutes ago, jantonio said:

you can also do the delivery for the petrified marble statues.

I have no clue what you mean by this

@Hobgoblino your information helped a lot! thanks! So what you're saying is I just need to destroy the wheel to get my sketches back? Weird mechanic.. I only found king, queen and pawn statues, no rooks or bishop. So I guess I need looking around again for the statues?

Shame that it seems kind of dangerous for me to get those castle statues alone. Maybe I'll just try, have a live giving amulet with me and risk it.

Again thanks a lot : )

Edit: Do the deers have some kind of route? I remember seeing one deer a long time ago and it walked towards the swamp and yesterday I saw a bunch of deers and they also went into the swamp. I'd rather have them in my decidous forest roaming around. I plan on building a fence between my forest and swamp. Maybe that will keep them close by.

If I pen in one of Klaus's deers will the numbers of deers increase?

4 minutes ago, jantonio said:

the marble heads and nose for the knight, bishop and rook

Oh that. I thought you put the pieces together to fight those shadow things. I've read it on the wiki but I still don't understand how all of this works. Or will they yield more sketches, is that what you're saying?

It's a multi-stage process. First you mine the bishop, rook and knight statues in their set piece. Then you bring the suspicious marbles to the set piece and add them to the mined statues. Then, on a full moon, you mine the statues as they are shaking and fight the clockworks that come out. The clockworks drop the sketches which you can add to your potters wheel to make rook, knight and bishop statues. On the new/dark moon, these statues will shake. Hammer (rather than mine) them to get the shadow pieces, which, when killed in the proper manner, drop the black heart.

59 minutes ago, Hobgoblino said:

For the kingly, queenly and pawn sketch you find more in tumbleweeds after you've mined at least one of the respective statues in the world.

Are you sure, Hob? I have found green and yellow gems in tumbleweeds, but I never found any sketches :/

Also if you are doing Antlion and want the spikes/castles think about making a saddle and feeding a boof for it. You can carry spike/castle, hop on boof, ride safely away, then rinse and repeat as others have the aggro. Makes it safer (so they don't get destroyed by Antlion) and faster for you. Please note you don't have to domesticate the boof either. Just feed it a little throw saddle on, ride, feed, ride, move stuff, then remove saddle or let it shake it off. Boom! Done.

5 hours ago, mrxarous said:

Also if you are doing Antlion and want the spikes/castles think about making a saddle and feeding a boof for it. You can carry spike/castle, hop on boof, ride safely away, then rinse and repeat as others have the aggro. Makes it safer (so they don't get destroyed by Antlion) and faster for you. Please note you don't have to domesticate the boof either. Just feed it a little throw saddle on, ride, feed, ride, move stuff, then remove saddle or let it shake it off. Boom! Done.

I'll plan on taming a boof but there is no one that could help me. I think I'll figure something out since I don't need to kill the Antlion.

Anyway, my desert is pretty far away but I have a wormhole conveniently close to my base but I guess I can't use it wihile riding a boof, can I?

I just tried to relocate Volt Goats and it didn't work. The Goat disappeared and the gems are gone. Is something wrong with this location? Or is the distance between my pen and the desert too big? (it is indeed pretty far away)

20170422175619_1.jpg

EDIT: Just read that the herd location updates after you killed all Goats except for one. After that you can relocate it with the staff? Can somebody confirm this before I murder them all :S

Edit: nevermind

Archived