Advanced Graphics Options

The requirements is already a intel HD 4600 which is very low end. Not sure how much lower it can go. The CPU is more important and CPUs that are too weak usually are in systems where the graphics is too weak too. So having a graphics quality wouldn't do much if your CPU is too weak.

45 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

The requirements is already a intel HD 4600 which is very low end. Not sure how much lower it can go. The CPU is more important and CPUs that are too weak usually are in systems where the graphics is too weak too. So having a graphics quality wouldn't do much if your CPU is too weak.

Yeah but I mean, how hard is it to lower texture quality, seems like just a good option to have

3 minutes ago, TopSloth said:

Yeah but I mean, how hard is it to lower texture quality, seems like just a good option to have

But point is, it won't do anything meaningful. Its like asking stardew valley to have advanced graphics options ... even if they put it in what are you expecting? 0.00001 more FPS? Having things just cause you think its a good idea isn't a good idea if they don't do anything useful other than reduce the visual quality without a meaningful increase in FPS.

You can ask for it sure, just stating my opinion on the topic. Lets stop going back and forth since we both know we won't change our minds.

You do realize that lowering texture quality and making sure said lower textures work correctly in the system they are using to generate their tiles is not a trivial task.  As already mentioned by @AlexRou, it wouldn't generally assist users with running the game on lower end machines either.  ONI utilizes a reasonable amount of RAM and CPU to handle its simulation in itself.  Therefore reducing the texture quality would not likely provide a reasonable boost in performance.

However, taking the time to reduce the texture quality of all their art and to make sure said lower resolution art still renders correctly, would actually hurt the development time of the game.  In addition, it would open up new avenues to bugs.

So, why would it be a good idea to sink development and artist time into creating lower resolution options, when the benefit for doing so would be negligible?  Especially when it would not likely lead to a reasonable amount of additional sales to justify the additional costs...

2 minutes ago, Ecu said:

You do realize that lowering texture quality and making sure said lower textures work correctly in the system they are using to generate their tiles is not a trivial task.  As already mentioned by @AlexRou, it wouldn't generally assist users with running the game on lower end machines either.  ONI utilizes a reasonable amount of RAM and CPU to handle its simulation in itself.  Therefore reducing the texture quality would not likely provide a reasonable boost in performance.

However, taking the time to reduce the texture quality of all their art and to make sure said lower resolution art still renders correctly, would actually hurt the development time of the game.  In addition, it would open up new avenues to bugs.

So, why would it be a good idea to sink development and artist time into creating lower resolution options, when the benefit for doing so would be negligible?  Especially when it would not likely lead to a reasonable amount of additional sales to justify the additional costs...

If they do the tiles the way I think they're doing the tiles ... they can actually use what ever resolution for the texture without affecting the physical size of the tiles. Hell unity even has auto mipmaps which scales your original texture and picks the closest size based on object size in relation to screen resolution. And that feature is just a simple toggle so I would assume its already in the game. But yeah a manual quality setting is still non trivial.

https://docs.unity3d.com/460/Documentation/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

Just now, AlexRou said:

If they do the tiles the way I think they're doing the tiles ... they can actually use what ever resolution for the texture without affecting the physical size of the tiles. Hell unity even has auto mipmaps which scales your original texture and picks the closest size based on object size in relation to screen resolution. And that feature is just a simple toggle so I would assume its already in the game. But yeah a manual quality setting is still non trivial.

https://docs.unity3d.com/460/Documentation/Manual/class-TextureImporter.html

Honestly, I'm not even sure lower resolution textures would offer any benefits really at all.  Since from what I understand with this style of tiling engine, they tessellate a large texture, cutting out the required tiles from said tessellation and apply edging.  It is already a rather efficient system from what I can tell.

Just now, Ecu said:

Honestly, I'm not even sure lower resolution textures would offer any benefits really at all.  Since from what I understand with this style of tiling engine, they tessellate a large texture, cutting out the required tiles from said tessellation and apply edging.  It is already a rather efficient system from what I can tell.

Thats why I mentioned 0.000001 FPS increase above :p But since its a toggle for mipmaps its one of those why not things, but yeah not 100% sure they have it on.

8 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Thats why I mentioned 0.000001 FPS increase above :p But since its a toggle for mipmaps its one of those why not things, but yeah not 100% sure they have it on.

It may not be as simple as that though as with the way they implement their tiling system, I'm not sure how trivial it is to handle textures of a different size.  It may be very simple, or a huge mess depending on how that whole system works.  Given that it is already rather efficient from what I can estimate, any additional time would not be worth the cost.

Just now, Ecu said:

It may not be as simple as that though as with the way they implement their tiling system, I'm not sure how trivial it is to handle textures of a different size.  It may be very simple, or a huge mess depending on how that whole system works.  Given that it is already rather efficient from what I can estimate, any additional time would not be worth the cost.

Yup, lets just stop agreeing but in different ways lol

1 minute ago, TopSloth said:

How about being able to disable the animated icons? cause when I got a whole base to sweep the moving ones kill my fps.

I don't think thats whats causing the FPS to drop, if what you are experiencing is the FPS dropping soon after marking it as sweep and dupes start moving then the problem is still the CPU.

Archived