Real life mush bars?

I'm a fan of weird foods from haggis to natto so after playing this game I wondered the sort of culinary science would be needed to make food out of dirt and water just like our Duplicants eat!

Technically all you need for carbohydrates is carbon, oxygen and hydrogen, and dirt and water would provide those.  The Microbe Musher would have to break down (or mush I suppose) the molecules into their atoms and rearrange them into more complex polysaccharide structures.  Of course, if it could do that then one would think it could make something more appetizing that didn't cause diarrhea :)

Doing a little searching I ran across a related and amusing culinary trend:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-dirt-you-can-actually-eat-0155614/

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019612,00.html

This is faux-dirt, however, so here is something much closer:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=1167623&page=1

Can real mush bars be far off?

On a serious note, I do like how the developers have streamlined Duplicant's requirements by making them eat but not also drink.  It's a nice touch that the mush bars and lice loaf both require water for their creation showing the game doesn't ignore the vital requirement of drinking - Duplicants just eat their water lol  It's less realistic but I think it is nice compromise for gameplay. 

7 hours ago, DoctorOverlord said:

On a serious note, I do like how the developers have streamlined Duplicant's requirements by making them eat but not also drink.  It's a nice touch that the mush bars and lice loaf both require water for their creation showing the game doesn't ignore the vital requirement of drinking - Duplicants just eat their water lol  It's less realistic but I think it is nice compromise for gameplay. 

True, until you realise that the Microbe Musher is extremely wasteful and you're better off eating meal lice raw.

14 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

True, until you realise that the Microbe Musher is extremely wasteful and you're better off eating meal lice raw.

Really?  I didn't know that, thanks :) 

We should have the option to barbecue lice or roast them over a firepit, of course with a chance of the fire spreading or setting a Dup's clothes ablaze. (Now I really want to see a Dup running around on fire with their arms flailing lol)

Given the name of the device, and the putrid green of the mush bars, maybe the musher is actually culturing the microorganisms in the dirt and growing them in microbe colonies large enough to be consumed.

The temperatures required for microbe incubation would explain why microbe mushers run so hot...

Archived