Changing Hand Animations for held items?

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to read this. i let this picture do the talking.

Q0w7tNK.png

basically what im trying to do is change the hand animation to another one when holding a specific custom item. so when any character holds this particular item it changes from the default fist to the open hand image. any idea how to thiis? will i have to enter a particular code into my item's lua file?

Heh, I wanted to do a similar thing.

What you want to do is - make a new hand symbol. Then switch hand symbols while equipping the item, and reset it while unequipping it.

I could do that for you if you want, I just need either your "exported" folder or "hand" symbol folder.

Thank you so much!

@PanAzej

So I would have to make a new hand image equipping the item manually and edit the scml file? 

Will that effect all characters who picked up the particular item or just my character? 

here's my entire character's exported.zip. Let me know if you'll need anything else or how this process works =P

Edited by Micklo202
added the folder

13 hours ago, Micklo202 said:

Thank you so much!

@PanAzej

So I would have to make a new hand image equipping the item manually and edit the scml file? 

Will that effect all characters who picked up the particular item or just my character? 

here's my entire character's exported.zip. Let me know if you'll need anything else or how this process works =P

Okay, now I remember why there may be problems. Since there are other characters and hand skins...

star.zip

What I did, is basically changing 2 frames of the hand symbol and making it a new symbol, called "hand_holding".

You'd change it with owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("hand", "star", "hand_holding") while equipping it and switch it back with owner.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("hand", "star", "hand") while unequipping...

But yeah, other characters won't have the same animation for the hand, unless you make one. The easiest way to not allow that is making the item not equippable by others.

And about skins.... Well, yeah, there's no way of fixing it for skins, unless you, like, made every hand symbol for every skin that exists. Which is a ton of work and doesn't make sense. Of course, you could make it so that the hands can't use skins.

But is it worth it? I wouldn't say so.

I think I was wrong here, in DS it would be simple and possible, but here, in DST, not really.

thanks so much man! i'll get to work on this right away, making it non-equippable by other characters was my solution that problem if it occurred. now i know it was the right to do. again thanks alot for your help

just hope i don't screw this up =D