sand end = game end

If its not already in the game you should also be able to use coal to filter contaminated water. It would be just like making a water purifier, which uses layers of sand and coal. The coal absorbs the toxic elements out of the water to make it pure.

Only alternative for water filtration I’m aware of in the current version is evaporate contaminated water then cool down the resulting steam to get clean water. You can probably feed byproducts to hatch to get some coal.

1 hour ago, Profitz said:

Only alternative for water filtration I’m aware of in the current version is evaporate contaminated water then cool down the resulting steam to get clean water. You can probably feed byproducts to hatch to get some coal.

Quite right.  There is sand free ways of dealing with contaminated oxygen and air plus clearing out the CO2.  In the bases that really push it and make use of free air and water generation (exploits :p), it can come to a point where heat is what kills you ^.^

yah I have a save at cycle 350 with 80k sand still in inventory sand is a crutch its great while learning the game. but my stage your thinking only save it till you need to produce water, algae, air from slime when every other resource is finally depleted.my current run in is at 160 I only had a water filter running for 3 cycles to gain air pressure in my base. my sea of carbon was rising up a fair bit and had to push it back down.

going for long runs you have to limit yourself on resource usage and be willing to use aspects of the games mechanics  to help in oxygen production. the stuff you build can all be used for other things but you need to creatively build solutions using the physics and chemistry available to do things effectively

Archived