Dupes exiled into a leper colony

Thanks to the new stress cap for dupes, it is possible to have semi-satisfied dupes without having to cull the needy.  However, I like to keep a low population on my colony, and I try to cherry pick the dupes with diver's lungs and irritable bowels.  In my attempts to keep a clean and healthy base, I noticed that my dupes shower too frequently when working in the slime, and this was greatly hampering productivity.  I decided to exile two of the best suited duplicants to a leper colony (vomiter, diver's lungs, irritable bowel, high level).  These sacrificial lambs are living completely isolated from the starting biome, and I will continue to update the progress of this new leper colony, with no stress management or toilets to encourage the puke and pee harvesting technique.

Day 120 - The slime biome mealwood farm and cooling system is in place and producing sufficient calories to sustain the lepers.  Air lock permanently closed with lepers separated from luxury dupes.

Day 140 - 1,799 kg algae produced with 2 slime distillers.  Posh dupes have not spent any time on massage tables since the formation of leper colony, and have not had their stress rise above 10%.  Approximately 44 tiles of contaminated water has been filtered into clean water, and is fueling the CO2 scrubber.  Posh dupes mainly deliver coal, sand, and generate power.  Leper dupes have been exploring the biome and are building a steam room.  Easiest playthrough so far, only difficulty is managing temperature for the mealwood farm.  I went overboard with the amount of plant boxes to compensate for the heat management.  In the slime biome, it is possible to have stifled growth due to overheating and chilling simultaneously in the same room.

You can also make matrix style Dupacell Batteries (TM) to get unlimited everlasting power. 

Just a small room with a cot, 5 mealwoods plants walled into the wall so they can never be affected by temperature or air pressure, the morbs from two killed of dupes, an outhouse in the bottom right corner with a manual airlock in front to remove CO2, and a hamster wheel. Wall them in and set them to do one job... running on the hamster wheel all day, every day, forever in order to power the guys living in luxury.

EDIT: Actually, the outhouses should probably be removed too. Make mesh floor tiles so you can pick up that free unlimited water resource well. Just have the manual airlock to remove CO2 be placed in between cot and hamster wheel and it should be fine.

I was thinking of something similar to this as well back when stress was a big problem. But instead it was divided into destructive and vomiter colonies. All the essential machinery to keep the colony running was on the vomiter side while the destructive dupes were in the other. both cut off from one another. That way if any destructive dupes got stressed they couldn't halt the running of the colony. The destructive dupes would end up being the main diggers since they had less machines to work with.

Day 145 - Posh dupes used the massage table for the first time in 25 cycles.  This was to reduce their stress from a whopping 25% and 17% back to 0.

Day 150 - Printed a new duplicant to help the posh dupes in their search for and delivery of coal and sand.  Suspended oxygen production to preserve water.

Day 155 - Total algae produced from slime is at 3,699 kg.  Resumed oxygen production.

Day 160 - Increased amount of slime distillers to 6.

Day 180 - Printed a new duplicant that will eventually join the leper colony.

All in all, things are uneventful.  The major benefits to having this set up seem to be the amount of time you save from reducing the amount of showers your dupes take, and from reducing the distance they have to travel while delivering slime to the distillers (which are almost always full now).

Archived