Air deoderizer needs a purpose

Hi all,

Just discovered this awesome game. I noticed that the air deodorizer has no value when you can use a cyclic system with a dump area to achieve the same thing. Not sure if this is a bug or intended feature, but it seems odd that you can clean air without using it.

Please see attached image for more details. (not sure how to insert image from my computer at the moment :P)

Cheers :)

OxygenNotIncluded 2017-02-26 08-24-17-63.jpg

6 hours ago, Ned_Fland said:

Hi all,

Just discovered this awesome game. I noticed that the air deodorizer has no value when you can use a cyclic system with a dump area to achieve the same thing. Not sure if this is a bug or intended feature, but it seems odd that you can clean air without using it.

Please see attached image for more details. (not sure how to insert image from my computer at the moment :P)

Yeah, I personally never use air deodorizers myself, considering that I just make my waste area my general cave system (outside of my locked base). It makes contanimated oxygen get everywhere where my dupes need a little breathing time (since it also happens to be my CO2 dump site). By the way, you might want to replace those tiny batteries with normal sized batteries. A single battery holds 4 times the capacity of a tiny battery while only taking up twice as much space (2x efficiency). Unlike what seems logical, batteries do not leak.

@ Lumina - The concept is to use oxygen outlets at the outer edge of rooms to ensure all air is flowing to the center of the base. If the bottom of the base is sealed the air must flow up. Having a pump at the top of the base connected to a gas filter that pumps oxygen back into the pipes that feed oxygen to these vents assists this as it creates a negative pressure at its location (gas will always flow from positive pressure to negative pressure). Any non oxygen gas sucked up by the pump is pushed outside the base.

In essence this system uses the natural behavior of gasses to filter out the gunk.

21 minutes ago, Czeraphine said:

Yeah, I personally never use air deodorizers myself, considering that I just make my waste area my general cave system (outside of my locked base). It makes contanimated oxygen get everywhere where my dupes need a little breathing time (since it also happens to be my CO2 dump site). By the way, you might want to replace those tiny batteries with normal sized batteries. A single battery holds 4 times the capacity of a tiny battery while only taking up twice as much space (2x efficiency). Unlike what seems logical, batteries do not leak.

Thanks for that Czeraphine,

I read the large batteries drain charge over time on the description and thought there be dragons so steered clear :)

Simply put, Deoderizers have a great purpose! Free of cost air! Yes sand has to be used but its a resource that's far from ever being in high demand. Its a cheaper and longer lasting way to get O2 than electrolizers and the silly algae farms :/ And any colony you have for long enough will have to use them to clean O2 from the pockets around the base. If anything they are OP for what they do. In my plays even locking 1 or 2 into a large void of yellow moved almost half of it to mildly toxic in just days! With my largest base I long ago would have suffocated them all if I hadn't been tapping and cleaning resources. Or the low pressure would have made farms fail if I hadn't had a bugged or weird heat holding thing happen. Base was a balmy 120-180F from week one somehow. Floor lamps are death in my experience. Even passively cleansing the exterior air seems of value to me. you want the mining expeditions to not bring back a case of the spores or stink aura. Worse yet if you manage to ramp up the pressure out or inside too much walls might burst! unless that's only with water atm. Hard to tell only seen it happen on YT while I had a functioning CL sequestration zone in my main facility. BY day 45 I had a happy population of 20 so Dups. O2 never was the main issue, food was always floating near 0 hence my war against heat I couldn't win. Filtering gasses and pressure was sometimes iffy. Stable power was the chore to run the HVAC I set up. Screen caps from near the end of the run, quickly stitched together a base map below. On the far left under the bar are a pair of Hydrogen genies, fed from above in the main gas separator complex. the upper 1/3 of my base acted as a perfect hydrogen trap. Just to the right there is a stream of clean air moving in from 2 breached pockets with deoderizers in the shaft. The water was dumped down into my cesspool for later processing. Also trapped my coal genies there for convenience behind the restrooms and distillery. With how resource gasses vanish the only way long term pressure can be maintained is using contaminated air, possibly leaving field of mined but ungathered slime around as a free lasting source of pressure and O2 as its processed. I think the error I made that ended it was an overlap under the cesspool outlets that caused 1 or 2 Dups to wander into it and started the shame spiral of vomit, then destructive action knocked out my hamster wheels to long too keep the building critical mass of H2 from reaching a full bulk of reaction mass. >< simple slip threw off 45+ good days of expansion out the airlock. Until then a shortening run to bring the batteries up to the set level was doing fine. Nearly had it. I marked out various areas. It was much happier looking before the graveyard showed up, and the bodies in the pool and a few direct vomit hits tainted it, one straight down the ladder, so much rage, was all clean a few days before. All thanks to Cleaning bad air. No need for a postmortem here, just to show what cave bases can do well. I'll be posting a fresh topic to go into game end scenarios. next week I think.

The Deadly Yellow Spacerock Base details.png

8 hours ago, Ned_Fland said:

In essence this system uses the natural behavior of gasses to filter out the gunk.

Ok, i understand it better. But anyway, i don't think it's bad to have two ways to do things. One require resource and research (the deodorizer), one game knownledge, time and a well done system. If neither option is too powerful, it's great.

Right now the main reason not to use deodorizers is that disease isn't that bad, and sand is a non-renewable resource. But I'm sure that will be changed once the whole disease and sanitation mechanics are more developed. I really like your design by the way. It occurred to me to do something similar with the whole base wrapping back and forth for subsequent hallways, then I realized how extremely slowly the pressure fronts travel in this game (sometimes it seems like they don't travel at all), and this combined with the pressure limitation of gas vents would mean rate of flow is extremely low. But your design addresses this issue by having multiple outlets, thus keeping the individual paths of gas travel much shorter. It would have to flow this direction, or you'd need a pump for each hallway.

9 hours ago, Lampostsamurai said:

Someone did the science on this, and batteries do leak, just very, very slowly. Which is yet another reason to use large batteries.

I'm the person that did the science, and pretty much proved that batteries did not leak ;) I fully charged batteries, cut all of their outputs, then let the game run on ultra for 20 cycles. Their initial power state matched their final state. At the same time, I conducted my temperature test and found that only gasses are affected by temperature change. The best way to combat your plants from getting too hot is to place them on super cold tiles that you built. Tiles and most other buildings only impart temperature on their surroundings and never change. This may be a bug.

59 minutes ago, Czeraphine said:

I'm the person that did the science, and pretty much proved that batteries did not leak ;) I fully charged batteries, cut all of their outputs, then let the game run on ultra for 20 cycles. Their initial power state matched their final state. At the same time, I conducted my temperature test and found that only gasses are affected by temperature change. The best way to combat your plants from getting too hot is to place them on super cold tiles that you built. Tiles and most other buildings only impart temperature on their surroundings and never change. This may be a bug.

That's gotta be a bug. Otherwise, insulated buildings would have less than no purpose.

Really liked the way you organized your base OP, I will steal your filtering system for my next run!! Only thing that would do different is having your farm on O2. The mealwood trees use up either O2 or CO2, I would rather they don't eat up my precious O2!! Keep them in a CO2 "bubble" with a ladder coming from the top so that when the duplicants come to harvest they don't leak CO2 into your system.

On 2/25/2017 at 4:40 PM, Ned_Fland said:

Hi all,

OxygenNotIncluded 2017-02-26 08-24-17-63.jpg

i love the idea...my question is, how did you get around the gas vent overpressure? I tried to implement this same system based on your design and all my vents are listing as overpressure...hmmmm

A deodorizer is handy anytime electricity  isnt. Lets say you want to make a small air station for miners. a deodorizer, algae terrarium, and a manual airlock  can provide  a pocket of clean air for miners.

thats what i used to find "the void" and the neutronium border at the top edge of the map with minimal resource impact.

BTW does anyone know anything about "The Void"?

Archived