Intelligent parallel faction?

Hey, loving the current version of the game and I have a suggestion that would probably be added quite late in development if at all, but I think it would be cool if we could eventually come across another intelligent faction trying to thrive and expand. I guess it could be another set of dupes, but I feel like intelligent aliens would be cool, especially if they breathe anything other than oxygen. It seems like this isn't necessarily a combat-focused game, so if they breathe chlorine for example, instead of sending dupes over to blast them(although maybe that could be an option), you would have to find a way to deprive them of that basic need through the engineering mechanics that are more at the center of the gameplay, removing the chlorine from their living space. Alternatively, even though I know Klei doesn't like to create friendly worlds, maybe there could be a diplomacy option with the main hurdle being the fact that your and their people cannot usually be in the same place without one side suffocating. The reward for interacting with them would be access to their technology and maybe an alliance. I feel like this would be quite an undertaking to implement but I would love it, although I understand if this isn't what Klei wants the game to be.

I don't think the idea of introducing a rival faction/colony would be along the lines of the games purpose. As you said, it's not necessarily combat-based. However, I can see potential in the concept... perhaps, down the line, as the game develops and more people are able to sustain their colony for longer periods of time, at a certain cycle, or Dupe Population point, it triggers an event that causes the Printer to break/explode. This would encourage exploration and connecting with other colonies.

I think it would be a smart progression of the game.. you connect with the colony, attempt to form some sort of diplomacy.. or maybe even recruit from their colonies population. Human, Dupes, or alien... I think each one could be entirely possible. It could be that each type of colony can provide you with different types of technology to further progress your colony.

Just my two cents.

Archived