Power switches vs. disabling buildings

I'm trying to determine if hitting a power switch and disabling the attached machine actually stops sucking power from the batteries and power generator sources. I suppose I'm also trying to determine if this happens as well when disabling a building. I can't seem to measure either way if one or the other works (or if neither actually do this).

Judging from the power overlay screen, hitting the power switch does not seem to prevent a machine from continuing to suck power from batteries, which would seem to make power switches 100% irrelevant and useless. Disabling a building, however, does seem to stop this from happening.

Again, I have no way of measuring this, I'm just going off of the power overlay screen.

Can anyone clear this up for me? If power switches don't work in this manner, then what good are they? They don't seem particularly useful if so.

I attached pictures. The first is a disabled building, the second is just a power switch turned off.

disabled.png

turnedoff.png

Edit: I see now that disabling machines consume no energy or resources. Still not sure what that means for power switches though.

You could try this: contect a manual generator to a just one tiny battery to a power switch and an item that constantly uses power like a lamp. Charge the battery to full and check the consumption rate for when the item is disabled or the switch is off. You could also just have a battery connected to the manual generator to see if there is any static drain on the batteries, even if no power is being drawn

Seems more like power switchs just don't feed the cable it is attached to, maybe if u have a separated circuit with it's own generator/battery connected to the other side of the switch it'll be like doing nothing.

About the building still using electricity, I don't think it's using electricity since the cable doesn't have any, it seems like it's just asking for power.

Archived