Is it possible to access variables from behaviors?

Am I wording that right?

You know how you can access variables from components really easily? Like if you wanted to get something's run speed from the locomotor component, you would do:  inst.components.locomotor.runspeed

Can you do something like that with behaviors? They look like they're structured similarly, but I really have no idea how I would go about looking for that kind of info.

Wow, this must be a weird question to see me asking after like half a year of not asking any questions. Sometimes I just wonder if there are way easier ways to do things that I just end up missing. Just last month I figured out you can skip to any frame you want in an animation with inst.AnimState:SetTime() which would have been SO useful to know a long time ago. 

Better yet, is there any way to just list every possible command tied to a class? Like if I wanted to list every existing inst.AnimState:????()  function available to use, is there a way I could do that? AnimState specifically is a hard one, because it's not a file we get access to.

"inst.brain" or "AddBrainPostInit()" grant you access to the brain of a creature.

"brain.bt" is the behaviour tree. "brain.bt.root" is the root node, usually that's what "local root" in the brain's file is.

From there on, it's a cascade of behaviour nodes. If they have sub-nodes, those are in the "children" table.

Please take the time to investigate "scripts/behaviourtree.lua" for details on behaviour nodes.

The API sample mod edits a pig brain, you should check it out!

AnimState is written in C++ iirc, which means you can't just use a for loop and print all the functions. It would be utmost helpful to know all available functions, though.

13 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

It would be utmost helpful to know all available functions, though.

SetLayer	function: 13EA64A0	
SetRayTestOnBB	function: 13EA6B60	
IsCurrentAnimation	function: 13EA71C0	
SetFinalOffset	function: 13EA6890	
SetManualBB	function: 13EA68F0	
SetOrientation	function: 13EA6980	
GetSymbolPosition	function: 13EA67A0	
Hide	function: 13EA62F0	
SetSortOrder	function: 13EA6710	
ClearOverrideSymbol	function: 13EA6740	
SetBloomEffectHandle	function: 13EA6B30	
SetDepthWriteEnabled	function: 13EA65F0	
SetDepthTestEnabled	function: 13EA6260	
ClearOverrideBuild	function: 13EA68C0	
Show	function: 13EA6350	
PlayAnimation	function: 13EA65C0	
SetTime	function: 13EA6B00	
GetTotalTime	function: 13EA6380	
Pause	function: 13EA63E0	
GetPercent	function: 13EA67D0	
Resume	function: 13EA6440	
SetDeltaTimeMultiplier	function: 13EA6860	
SetErosionTexture	function: 13EA6DA0	
PushAnimation	function: 13EA6650	
GetMultColour	function: 13EA6BC0	
OverrideSymbol	function: 13EA6CB0	
SetPercent	function: 13EA6C80	
SetAddColour	function: 13EA6770	
ClearBloomEffectHandle	function: 13EA69B0	
SetScale	function: 13EA61D0	
SetBank	function: 13EA66B0	
GetCurrentFacing	function: 13EA71F0	
SetErosionParams	function: 13EA6FB0	
PutOnGround	function: 13EA6140	
SetBuild	function: 13EA6320	
LoadAnimation	function: 13EA6C50	
OverrideShade	function: 13EA6BF0	
GetAddColour	function: 13EA6800	
SetLightOverride	function: 13EA6AA0	
SetDepthBias	function: 13EA6C20	
AddOverrideBuild	function: 13EA6AD0	
AnimDone	function: 13EA6290	
SetMultColour	function: 13EA6920	

Something like this list?

20 hours ago, pickleplayer said:

Like if I wanted to list every existing inst.AnimState:????()  function available to use, is there a way I could do that?

for k, v in pairs(getmetatable(GetPlayer().AnimState).__index) do print(k, v) end

With this command you can get any C++ function for any C++ entity.

1 hour ago, Mobbstar said:

For some reason I feel like twenty minutes of research would have supplied me with these two very useful things. I should write them down, thank you!

I'm working on a method which will actually get all the parameter names of these functions to ensure we can document them correctly.

@Mobbstar, I've looked into this further and it looks like there isn't a sure fire way to get the function parameters without the game crashing. I will look into it further because I need to have it for the mod I'm making, but looks like I'm stuck for the moment.

Ah, yes Perfect! Thank you! Both of you! these will help a lot

@Mobbstar, I've been playing around with the brain functions for a long time and was able to get it working for the most part, but I'm having some strange issues. I'm not sure if you'd actually know any more about this subject than me, but I'll just ask. I can access all the behavior nodes, including their names and all the variables in them, just fine, EXCEPT any children within parallel nodes. But the weird thing is that I can still get their names just fine, but not any of the variables within them. 

For example the "OnFire" node that exists within a parallel node in almost every brain, you can print the name with "node.children[1].name" and it returns the name (Panic). But "node.children[1].waittime" (which is 0 by default) will not print out anything at all. However, if I just throw the Panic behavior into the brain by itself and print "node.waittime" it will print 0 like it's supposed to.

Am I doing something wrong here? How come I can get the node's name just fine, but not anything else? I don't know how much the modding community knows about brains, so I might have to figure this one out on my own.

5 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

@pickleplayer a WhileNode is a ParallelNode with its first child being a IfNode (check behaviourtree.lua for details). As such, node.children[1] is the if node and obviously has no waittime.

Ahhhhh, okay, I see! Thank you so much! So then it's actually the second child that I needed. If I had payed attention to the GetBrainString() output, I probably would have noticed that.

But it works now and Harold's defensive stance is better than ever. He actually just 2-0'd me, oh boy he's getting too smart.

Thanks again! And now to disappear for another couple months.

Archived