Losing Chester when going into caves.

I understand that Chester doesn't follow the player underground because we have Hutch for cave exploring, but it is very annoying that the Eye Bone gets left on the surface when going into a cave. I often use the cave openings as wormholes to travel to other parts of the map quicker through the caves and although I'm perfectly okay with Chester not following me underground the Eye Bone should still stay in the inventory and Chester should pop back up whenever you get back to the surface through another cave opening, without the need to go back to where the Eye Bone drops to pick it up again.

On another note, does anybody know if there is a mod that fixes this? I tried looking for it in the steam workshop but could not find it.

Well, to put it simple, followers can not follow you between server shards (overworld and caves).

Chester, Glommer, and Hutch are all considered followers and thus, can not travel between server shards. Since they are all bound to a specific item, the items themselves can not travel between server shards either. You would have to find their key items in the new shard you're trying to bring them to (which is why we have Hutch in replacement of Chester in the caves).

As for mods that may fix this issue, I only know of a mod called "Personal Chesters" which grants every player their own personal Chester. A personal Chester will follow players through different server shards because they are linked to the player much like Abigail is linked to Wendy (this also means that they will spawn and despawn with the player).

Note: You can try to work around this issue for other followers. You could always build a pig house in the caves and then befriend the pig. You could build a rabbit hutch in the overworld and befriend him there. For smallbirds, and the extra-adorable lavae, you could bring them both into the caves and then hatch them there.

Archived