How to host a LAN game.

• Developer

We have two independent axes - online versus offline (controls whether users are authenticated, and whether or not you get skin drops) and server access mode (LAN, friends-only, etc, etc). We did this because people using LAN mode told us they did so because they only wanted to play with friends on their own LAN (which, interestingly enough our original LAN mode did not do! It just turned off all auth so that anyone in the world could connect to your "LAN mode" server if they could find it).

So if your goal is to ensure that only people on your LAN play with you, online LAN mode is what you want. Online mode will ensure everyone is who they say they are (can't connect as someone else, drop all their stuff, walk into a spider nest and then disconnect) and LAN server protection mode will only allow people on the same subnet to connect to your server, so you don't need a password.

15 minutes ago, jayanthguhan said:

But, if I set up an online game, none of my friends can even see the server, and this isn't a connection issue. How do I setup an online LAN game?

An Online LAN game won't really happen unless you install an external software like Tunngle or Hamachi, which is not really needed for Don't Starve Together. A LAN game is useful for games in your local area network. In other words, if you have a computer and a laptop connected to the same internet connection, then they will see each other in LAN servers.

You may want to try and invite your friends via steam, and they click your invitation and click "Join game".

• Developer
2 hours ago, jayanthguhan said:

But, if I set up an online game, none of my friends can even see the server, and this isn't a connection issue. How do I setup an online LAN game?

Did you check the "LAN" tab? If you're all on the same network you should show up there - that logic happens the same in both online and offline mode. If you still don't see each other, check that everyone's using the same version of the client - different versions of the game can't play together and don't show up to one another.

If you're still having problems, please provide some additional detail on your setup.

Archived